<p>Florida forward Dorian Finney-Smith (10) shoots against Kentucky center Dakari Johnson (44) during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game in the quarter final round of the Southeastern Conference tournament, Friday, March 13, 2015, in Nashville, Tenn.</p>

Florida forward Dorian Finney-Smith (10) shoots against Kentucky center Dakari Johnson (44) during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game in the quarter final round of the Southeastern Conference tournament, Friday, March 13, 2015, in Nashville, Tenn.

Dorian Finney-Smith didn’t want to leave Florida early.

The Gators’ leading scorer in 2014-15 announced Thursday he would be returning to UF for his senior season.

Finney-Smith said he reached out to NBA scouts regarding his draft potential, but after receiving input he met with coach Billy Donovan and decided to come back.

The redshirt junior, who transferred to UF from Virginia Tech after his freshman year, averaged 13.1 points per game last season.

Finney-Smith became a well-rounded offensive presence for the Gators this season, and was arguably Florida’s most consistent scoring threat.

He displayed considerable range for his 6-foot-8, 218-pound frame, shooting 42.6 percent from beyond the arc in 24 starts.

Florida finished a disappointing 16-17 last season, but Finney-Smith said he was eager to return and help Florida rebuild.

The Gators are coming off their first losing season since 1997-98, Donovan’s second season coaching the program.

“I feel like we’ll have a great team coming back and we’re going to do what it takes to lift the program back and play basketball the Florida culture way,” Finney-Smith said in a release. “I got better, but it was a learning experience being a leader. Now, I’m anxious to build on everything I learned.”

Follow Graham Hall on Twitter @Graham311