<p>Florida sophomore forward Will Yeguete has started the last three games for Florida and has been productive on the boards, averaging nine rebounds per contest.</p>

Florida sophomore forward Will Yeguete has started the last three games for Florida and has been productive on the boards, averaging nine rebounds per contest.

For the last 12 days, Will Yeguete has tried to be more than just a fill-in for a missing starter.

When 6-foot-10 forward Erik Murphy went down with a knee injury on Nov. 24, the 6-foot-7 Yeguete stepped up by posting career highs in points, assists, minutes and steals over the course of the Gators’ last three games.

Though he will likely lose his place in the starting rotation if Murphy returns for Wednesday’s home game against Arizona, Yeguete’s contribution during his first career starts hasn’t been lost on his teammates.

“Last year we saw him do this a lot in practice,” senior guard Erving Walker said. “It’s just you had guys like Vernon (Macklin) and Alex (Tyus) there who kind of got more minutes than him, and it’s understandable. But Will’s just doing what we know he can do: the hustle plays, guarding, and things like that.”

Yeguete was already an effective rebounder when he came off the bench early this season, grabbing a rebound once every 3.6 minutes on the floor.

But once he entered Florida’s starting frontcourt, his production jumped with 27 rebounds in his three starts — a board every 2.7 minutes he was on the court.

For the season, he averages a rebound every three minutes, the best mark on the team. Center Patric Young is second with one every 3.4 minutes and guard Brad Beal is third, with one every 4.8 minutes.

“I’ve had to work on it a little bit like position-wise and (footwork-wise) and how to know actually how to go after the ball,” Yeguete said. “I guess I got better, and that’s the thing that I can bring every game and control, so I’m trying to do it every time.”

Coming into this season, Yeguete said he set few personal goals and was simply looking for more playing time after averaging 7.1 minutes a game as a freshman. Against Syracuse last Friday, he saw a career-best 31 minutes while turning in one of his most complete nights of the season with 10 points, seven rebounds and four assists.

Yeguete was the only starter who did not commit a turnover, as the Orange forced 20 of them in the Gators’ four-point loss. His two giveaways are the lowest among starters during the last three games.

He has also shown he is a valuable weapon at the front of Florida’s press, with seven of his nine steals coming in games he has started.

“I feel more comfortable because I’m playing more than last year, obviously,” Yeguete said. “When you start getting used to the game and getting used to the system and the players, you feel more comfortable.”

While Murphy’s return would mean a decrease in court time for Yeguete, he feels he can still contribute. Murphy, known more for his 3-point shooting and passing, had five rebounds or fewer in each of his four starts.

Murphy was expected to be back in practice Monday, according to Yeguete.

“I hope [Murphy] comes back,” Yeguete said. “We’ll see if he comes back in the starting five, then I’ll have to go back to the bench. … I’ll [have to] stay consistent and just bring the same energy that I brought when I was in the first five.”

Contact John Boothe at jboothe@alligator.org.