<p>UF guard Chris Chiozza celebrates with teammates after hitting a buzzer-beater three to defeat Wisconsin 84-83 in the NCAA Tournament on Friday at Madison Square Garden in New York City.</p>

UF guard Chris Chiozza celebrates with teammates after hitting a buzzer-beater three to defeat Wisconsin 84-83 in the NCAA Tournament on Friday at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

By almost every account, the Florida basketball team exceeded expectations this season — only 9.3 percent of NCAA Tournament brackets filled out on ESPN.com had Florida advancing to the Elite Eight.

It’s safe to say almost no one saw this season coming.

But even though they fell just one game short of advancing to the Final Four, the last year will be remembered as one of resurgence for UF’s basketball program. One that established coach Mike White as a worthy successor to Billy Donovan. One that brought Florida basketball back into the annual March conversation.

But now that the season has ended, let’s take a look back, ranking the top three most memorable moments from the 2016-17 year.

1. Chiozza’s buzzer beater

The most famous shot of the season. The basket that broke Twitter and Chris Chiozza’s cell phone with hundreds of text messages afterward. The moment that will likely be framed somewhere in Florida’s basketball facility in the coming months.

This moment is No. 1.

With four seconds left in Florida’s Sweet 16 matchup with Wisconsin, Chiozza caught an out-of-bounds pass, ran the length of the floor and lofted up a shot from behind the three-point line for the win. Highlights of the game’s finish ran on TV all night and the next day. It donned the front covers of newspapers, tabloids and websites.

And it further justified UF’s spot among the nation’s elite.

2. Beating Kentucky at home

For Florida basketball fans, few things in sports feel better than beating Kentucky.

But the Gators didn’t just beat the Wildcats.

They embarrassed them.

The final score: 88-66, Florida.

The Feb. 4 win capped UF’s fourth straight 20-point win against a Power Five conference school and marked Florida’s first win against Kentucky in its last five tries.

Florida went on to win its next five games, playing off a high that can only be achieved by blowing out one of the best teams in the country.

3. Opening-round win in NCAA Tourney

In a way, this was as defining a moment as any during the 2016-17 season.

It was White’s first NCAA Tournament game as a head coach. It was also every Florida player’s — except senior Kasey Hill — first tournament game.

And it was UF’s first appearance in the big dance since Donovan left.

How would the Gators respond? Were they for real? Or would they be only good enough to end up on the wrong side of an East Tennessee State Cinderella story?

Turns out, Florida was good enough. They beat the Bucs by 15 points and earned the right to play ACC foe Virginia.

But it also allowed the Gators to take a deep breath — at least they didn’t lose in the first round.

And, perhaps, it allowed White to take one more step out from Donovan’s shadow.

Ian Cohen is a sports writer. His column appears on Tuesdays. Contact him at icohen@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @icohenb.