<p>Freshman guard Brad Beal scored a game-high 21 points and added six rebounds in the Gators' 82-64 win against the Seminoles on Thursday at the O'Connell Center.</p>

Freshman guard Brad Beal scored a game-high 21 points and added six rebounds in the Gators' 82-64 win against the Seminoles on Thursday at the O'Connell Center.

The learning curve for Brad Beal was flattened even before he scored a game-high 21 points against Florida State on Thursday.

As a freshman starter, Beal has been called on to do more than just put up points in his first 12 games with the Gators.  The 6-foot-3 guard is Florida’s second-leading rebounder, behind only 6-foot-9 center Patric Young, and Beal also plays a team-high 33 minutes per game. 

“I’m not using (being a) freshman as an excuse anymore, so really I’m just focusing on playing within the flow of the game,” he said.

The hardest adjustment for him to make, of all things, was to his long-range shooting. At the college level, defenders can get out to him quicker, speed up his release and force him in to taking uncomfortable shots. 

Beal looked anything but rushed as the No. 11 Gators beat the Seminoles 82-64 at the O’Connell Center before the start of a week-long holiday hiatus.

Against a stalwart FSU defense which previously allowed its opponents to make only 25.7 percent of their threes – good for 14th best in the nation – Beal knocked down 4 of 8 shots from behind the arc.

“It was his night,” said junior guard Kenny Boynton, who scored 14 points on 5-of-13 shooting. “I think he’s more confident and he’s been more consistent. You know, he needed some time.”

After the Gators (10-2) hit just 25 percent of their 3-pointers and scored 32 points in the opening half, Beal helped provide seperation from the Seminoles (8-4) in a two-point game early in the second.

Beal fueled a 15-2 Florida run beginning at the 16:12 mark with eight points of his own in a four-minute span, including a layup, dunk, free throw and a 3-pointer. 

“He’s got freedom to do that,” coach Billy Donovan said. “I think like anything else he’s just the kind of kid that never wants to come across as being selfish, and he’s not selfish, but I do think he’s probably feeling more and more comfortable.”

The Gators scored 50 points over the final 20 minutes – the most the Seminoles have allowed in half all season. 

Each of Florida’s five starters reached double figures for the second-straight game, as well. Senior guard Erving Walker chipped in 11 points and seven assists, while junior forward Erik Muphy added 12 points and six rebounds.

At the center spot, Young went 7 of 7 from the field and finished with 15 points. 

“There was a lot of talk in the game, it was almost like who’s going to win out, our offense or their defense?” Donovan said. “I felt the key in the game for us was how well we could defend and rebound.”

Though Beal played well defensively with three steals and a block, it was Young who had perhaps the standout moment of the game when he pinned an FSU player’s dunk attempt against the glass with one hand.

Florida would score 25 points off Florida State’s 19 turnovers and held the Seminoles to 40.7 percent shooting from the field and 30.4 percent from three. 

“They’re known for playing defense, but people underestimate our defense as well,” Beal said. “We beat them off our defense really, pressing and trapping and forcing a lot of turnovers really. So really just tried to press them and show that we can play defense as well.”

Rosario still out with injury:

Donovan said it is doubtful that redshirt junior Mike Rosario will be able to play during the Gators’ next matchup at Rutgers on Dec. 29 after the 6-foot-3 guard missed his second-straight game due to a strained back. Rosario spent two seasons with the Scarlet Knights before transferring to Florida and sitting out a year.

“We’ll see how he is, but I would be shocked if he plays right now the way it is against Rutgers,” Donovan said. 

Contact John Boothe at jboothe@alligator.org.