Boynton coming back to Florida for senior season

Guard Kenny Boynton is returning to UF for his senior year, he announced on Thursday via his Twitter account.

“To confirm the questions being ask lately I have reached a decision and I am returning to Gainesville for my senior season,” the tweet said.

Boynton was Florida’s leading scorer last year, averaging 15.9 points per game on 40.7 percent 3-point shooting.

He was projected as a fringe NBA draft prospect but was still considering making a jump to the professional ranks.

The decision did not come easy for Boynton, who was undecided on his future as recently as this week.

“I don’t know what I’m going to do, honestly,” he said on Monday.

But, after discussing his options with his family — his mother visited Gainesville earlier in the week — Boynton decided to return.

By doing so, he gives himself a shot at UF’s career scoring record. He has notched 1,589 career points, good for eighth on UF’s all-time list.

He is just 501 points shy of Ronnie Williams’ Florida career record of 2,090. Boynton scored 525 points as a sophomore and 588 as a junior.

Contact Greg Luca at gluca@alligator.org.