<p>UF head coach Mike White smiles during a press conference following Florida's 65-39 win against Virginia in the NCAA Tournament on March 18, 2017, in Orlando.</p>

UF head coach Mike White smiles during a press conference following Florida's 65-39 win against Virginia in the NCAA Tournament on March 18, 2017, in Orlando.

OK, who saw this coming?

Before the season started, I was under the impression that this Florida team would be good. Not great.

I didn’t expect the Gators to be one of the best offensive teams in the SEC.

I didn’t expect them to boast one of the best defenses in the nation.

And I certainly didn’t expect them to thrash No. 5 seed Virginia and advance to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament.

In fact, before the season began, I wouldn’t have been surprised if Florida missed the NCAA Tournament entirely.

After a mediocre 15-loss season in 2015-16, I didn’t quite know what to expect once this season began. There were so many questions and so few answers.

Would point guard Kasey Hill be able to overcome his struggles and put up a stellar senior season?

Would forward Devin Robinson and center John Egbunu overcome the injuries they sustained last year and improve?

Would graduate transfer Canyon Barry, who has basketball greatness in his blood, be able to acclimate to SEC basketball after spending three years at the College of Charleston?

And, most importantly, would Mike White take the “next step” in his second year as the Gators’ head coach?

For the most part, most of those questions have been answered, and the way they’ve been answered is a huge reason for the Gators’ success.

There’s not one reason for UF’s great play during the regular season and now here in March Madness. It has been a collective effort.

In the Round of 64 against No. 13 seed East Tennessee State, it was Hill, Robinson, Kevarrius Hayes and Chris Chiozza who stepped up. In the Round of 32, it was Robinson, Justin Leon and the Gators’ most dominant defensive performance of the season that led them to a 26-point win over the Cavaliers.

“I’m really happy for our guys,” White said. “Really happy for our seniors. Really happy for Devin, the progress he’s made… . We’re happy to be here.”

Like I said, the Gators have by far surpassed any expectation I had for them prior to the start of the season.

And maybe I was wrong for that.

However, as one of my colleagues articulated after the ETSU game, no matter what happens from here on out — win or lose — Florida’s season is already a success.

Ray Boone is a sports writer. His columns appear on Fridays. Contact him at rboone@alligator.org, and follow him on Twitter @rboone1994.