<p>Gregg Troy retired from being head coach of UF Swimming and Diving after spending 20 years in the position.<span id="docs-internal-guid-64c02d09-ff00-4cb2-e413-06104477e693"><span> <span id="docs-internal-guid-64c02d09-ff00-f2db-82da-4cc9993bbdd8"><span>“I’ve experienced countless memorable moments here at Florida," Troy said. </span></span></span></span></p>

Gregg Troy retired from being head coach of UF Swimming and Diving after spending 20 years in the position. “I’ve experienced countless memorable moments here at Florida," Troy said. 

If you laid out Gregg Troy’s resume, it would probably stretch the length of an Olympic swimming pool many times over.

On Wednesday, the 67-year-old announced that he is retiring from his position as UF’s swimming and diving coach. It’s an interesting turn of events for Troy, who had just signed an extension through June 2020 in September.

“I’ve been fortunate to spend 20 years here at the University of Florida, and I’m thankful for the opportunity to coach so many remarkable and talented Gator athletes,” Troy said in a release. “I’ve experienced countless memorable moments here at Florida, and it’s now time for me to step away from collegiate swimming.”

During his tenure, his women’s team won the national championship in 2010. He won eight SEC championships and 10 SEC Men’s Swimming Coach of the Year awards. His athletes produced 43 individual national championships and 1,145 All-American honors.

He was the 2012 U.S. men’s Olympic swimming head coach, and his team brought home 16 gold medals, 31 in total. With Florida, he produced 47 Olympians and 23 medals including 11 gold. 

Despite his retirement as head coach, the Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, native is not stepping away from swimming. He is taking a position with the Gator Swim Club, and will assist athletes training for the Olympics as the “high performance” coach.

"On behalf of the University of Florida and Gator Nation, I want to thank Gregg for the incredible job he has done here," UF Athletic Director Scott Stricklin said in a release. "Gregg has represented UF in a first-class manner, and his track record of accomplishments speaks for itself.

"Moving forward, we will evaluate all available options and have a wide-ranging search to provide our swimming and diving teams the best opportunity for continued success."

You can follow Sam Campisano on Twitter @samcampisano or contact him at scampisano@alligator.org.