Jocks Office: Comparing ‘Best Female Athlete’ nominees to films

The final week is here for The Alligator Awards and I’m tasked with introducing the nominees for “Best Female Athlete.” I hope you’re ready for stats on stats on stats, and as always, a few movie references. Don’t worry, none are related to “John Carter.”

Michelle Moultrie - The senior finished her career at Florida without the “Hollywood” ending she wanted as the softball team made an early exit at the NCAA Regionals. But her final year in Orange and Blue was nothing short of impressive. In the leadoff spot, Moultrie led the Gators in eight offensive categories: batting average (.386), runs (60), hits (71), total bases (116), hit by pitches (11), strike outs (21), on-base percentage (.489) and stolen bases (24). And there was no shortage on the other side of the ball either. Starting in all 61 games, the center-fielder held a perfect fielding percentage and accounted for the most putouts of any UF outfielder (68). As the lone senior, Moultrie was the leader of a young Florida squad, and she didn’t disappoint. At the end of the year, the Gators’ record stood at 48-13 (21-7 SEC), and had earned the No. 5 national seed heading into the postseason. Moultrie was named 2012 SEC Player of the Year.

Movie: “Million Dollar Baby” – Has a really inspirational beginning leading up to the grand finale, but ends in disappointing fashion, and frankly, is a little depressing.

Kristy Jaeckel - Jaeckel capped off an impressive four-year career by leading the Gators to the program’s first Elite Eight appearance since 2005. The outside-hitter was by far the biggest offensive threat the Gators had all season, leading the team in kills (405), kills per set (3.49) and total attacks (958) — each accounting for about 25-percent of the team’s total. She tallied 500.5 points on the year, beating second place Kelly Murphy by 133 points, for an average of 4.31 points a set. On the defensive side, Jaeckel proved to be a force as well, leading UF in solo blocks (21) with an efficient .62 blocks per set and averaging 2.31 digs per set. Serving wasn’t too shabby either, as she led the team in aces (49) and aces per set (.42). Jaeckel ultimately led the Gators to a 27-6 (17-3 SEC) record and the Elite Eight in the NCAA Tournament in her final season. She was named 2011 NCAA Division I Women’s All-American by Volleyball Magazine and Capital One Academic All-America of the Year.

Movie: “The Incredible Hulk” – Eric Bana has nothing on Edward Norton. Oh and “Kristy smash”, need I say more?

Kytra Hunter - The true freshman quickly became a major contributor to the UF gymnastics team that ended as runner-ups in the NCAA Super Six. In her first three meets, Hunter took the all-around titles and solidified herself as one of the top freshman in the country. Throughout the season, she accrued a team-high 21 event titles and added SEC Championships in all-around and vault. Her scores of 9.975 on vault and floor led the Gators and she shared the team-high all-around total. By the end of the season, Florida’s record stood at 17-1 (5-1 SEC) and Hunter had helped win the SEC title and secure the overall No. 1 seed in the NCAA Super Six, after becoming the first Gator to win an NCAA all-around title. In the finals, Hunter led the team on floor exercise as they placed .075 points behind national champions Alabama. Her high point came the next day when she won the vault title in the NCAA Individual Event Finals. Hunter was named 2012 All-SEC First Team and earned the 2012 Honda Award.

Movie: “The Sixth Sense” – Very solid overall, comes on strong at the end. Filled with twists, turns and doing flips and shit.

Brittany Dashiell - Dashiell was at the forefront of the women’s lacrosse success this season as they advanced to the program’s first ever Final Four in its three year history. The midfielder led the team in assists (25) and tied for the team lead in points (69). She played in all-but-one match, recording a point in every one and failing to put up a goal in only one game. Dashiell’s performance was solid throughout the year, placing in the top four in every team statistical category: goals (44), shot percentage (53.7), ground balls (31), draw controls (46) and caused turnovers (17). The Gators went on to post a 19-3 (5-0 American Lacrosse Conference) record, winning the conference regular season title for the second straight year and then the conference tournament championship by beating eventual national champion Northwestern 14-7. Dashiell was a 2012 Tewaaraton Award Finalist.

Movie: “Fargo” – A masterful piece, but never quite gets the recognition. Among fans, a must watch, but little-known to others.

Lauren Embree - She led the women’s tennis team to an almost perfect 27-1 record en route to the program’s second straight national championship. On the season, Embree posted a dominant 22-2 singles record — 10-0 in the No. 1 position. Her 22 wins was good for first on the team and she was one of two Florida players to post a perfect record in conference play. By the end of the season, Embree proved to be one of the top singles players in the country. But despite her performance in singles, however, Embree proved most dangerous in doubles. Coming into the season, Embree and Joanna Mather were already considered to be one of the best doubles teams in Florida history, and this season reaffirmed that. By the time they were hoisting the trophy, the duo held a 24-1 (11-0 SEC) record in yet another brilliant season. They had defeated nine of the 11 ranked teams they faced and improved their career record to 49-2 (20-0 SEC). Embree was named 2012 NCAA Championship Most Outstanding Player and 2012 SEC Player of the Year.

Movie: “Dark Knight Rises” – Simply put, just awesome and badass from beginning to end. Easily lives up to the expectations.

And, it’s a wrap.

Contact Corey McCall at cmccall@alligator.org.