<p>Clemson quarterback Tajh Boyd throws a pass during his team's 38-35 win against Georgia at Memorial Stadium in Clemson, S.C., on Aug. 31.</p>

Clemson quarterback Tajh Boyd throws a pass during his team's 38-35 win against Georgia at Memorial Stadium in Clemson, S.C., on Aug. 31.

Each week, two alligatorSports columnists will debate the biggest looming matchup in college football. Today, Adam Lichtenstein and Joe Morgan preview No. 5 Florida State’s showdown against No. 3 Clemson in Clemson, S.C., on Saturday at 8 p.m. on ABC.

Adam: FSU-Clemson has essentially served as the Atlantic Coast Conference championship game for the past several seasons. The actual title game in December between the conference’s division champions is nearly irrelevant, as the winner of this game has been the pre-eminent ACC team. The last four winners of this annual matchup have won the Atlantic Division, and the last two victors have won the conference.

Saturday’s matchup between top-five teams in the other Death Valley will be no different. But unlike last season, Clemson will come out as the team to beat in the ACC and, arguably, the nation.

The Tigers already have big wins under their belts. They ended last season with a bowl victory against LSU and rang in the new season with a 38-35 win against then-No. 5 Georgia.

Clemson has shown that it can beat top teams from the top conference in the nation. This weekend, it will show that the premier ACC team actually borders the Atlantic.

Joe: Well, I hate to burst your bubble right off the bat, Adam, but the states of Florida and South Carolina both border the Atlantic Ocean. Learn your geography, man!

When it comes to this weekend’s game, I’m putting all of my eggs in Jameis Winston’s basket because, well, he’s Jameis Winston.

On second thought, the whole egg thing is too much Easter. It’s October. I need to get my mind right. I’m putting all of my Halloween candy in Winston’s Trick-or-Treat bag.

The freshman leads the ACC in passer rating (213.9), completion percentage (73.2) and touchdown passes (17). Granted, he hasn’t faced a pass defense better than Nevada’s 51st-ranked unit, but his numbers are straight out of a video game.

Dealing with Clemson’s secondary shouldn’t lead to a dramatic drop-off.

Adam: Tallahassee is much closer to the Gulf of Mexico. The panhandle is barely Florida. We drove through there last weekend, and yeesh, it’s just miles of nothing.

But you already brought up a point I would have made — “Famous Jameis” and the Seminoles have not faced any kind of real competition.

Congratulations on your big win against powerhouse Bethune-Cookman, FSU.

The only decent team Florida State has played is an overrated and overmatched Maryland squad in front of 75,000 screaming, chopping ‘Noles fans. The Terrapins aren’t even receiving votes in the AP or Coaches’ Polls anymore!

For as impressive as Winston has been this season, the fairy tale has to end sometime. It is ridiculous that people are saying that he might be the best quarterback in Seminoles history five games into his career.

This is a school that has two Heisman-winning signal-callers.

If you want to talk quarterbacks, talk Tajh Boyd.

The senior has already thrown for 3,800 yards twice in his career. He’s a proven commodity on his way to the best season of his career.

Boyd is going to show Winston what it means to be a quarterback in the ACC on Saturday. All the freshman needs to do is sit back and watch.

Joe: I’m sure Boyd has plenty to offer in terms of experience to a young guy like Winston, but he’ll have even more to offer FSU’s secondary.

Boyd averages nearly 31 throws per game, giving the ‘Noles’ second-ranked pass defense 31 chances to make something happen.

Faced with an efficient offense that ranks third nationally with 53.6 points per game and fourth nationally with 549 yards per game, Boyd has little margin for error against a ball-hawking defense aiming to add to its total of six interceptions this season.

Meanwhile, Winston will add to everything but his interception tally of two. Clemson has faced only one passing offense ranked among the nation’s top 50 and that was Georgia.

If the Bulldogs had any kind of defense this season, Aaron Murray’s 323 passing yards would have been enough to beat the Tigers.

Adam: The Seminoles may have a top pass defense, but have they faced a receiver anywhere near as electric as Sammy Watkins?

The junior is one of the best receivers in the nation (and is Florida defensive back Jaylen Watkins’ half brother). Boyd and Watkins have combined to be one of the most dynamic duos in the country, and they are going to put FSU’s defense to the test.

Expect the Seminoles’ pass defense to fall a few spots after Saturday.

Joe: They may fall a few spots, but the Seminoles won’t drop too far. Florida State isn’t ranked second against the pass for nothing. But even if this game devolves into a shootout, I still like the Seminoles’ chances.

I’m more confident that Florida State’s top-10 defense can make a critical stop than Clemson. The Death Valley crowd cannot and will not intimidate “Famous Jameis.”

If you thought the Winston hype was insane during the season’s first seven weeks, brace yourself for the aftermath of the freshman’s first signature win for the Seminoles.

Follow Adam Lichtenstein on Twitter @alichtenstein24. Follow Joe Morgan on Twitter @joe_morgan.