Column: Tebow didn’t endorse Trump, so why do some of his voters think he did?

<p>Tim Tebow on the sidelines&nbsp;during Florida's 42-21 loss to Alabama at Bryant-Denny Stadium on Sept. 20, 2014.</p>

Tim Tebow on the sidelines during Florida's 42-21 loss to Alabama at Bryant-Denny Stadium on Sept. 20, 2014.

It’s no wonder why Tim Tebow is a favorite son of the evangelical crowd. After all, he embodies the fundamental traits of a red-blooded American.

He’s a southern football icon.

He’s a good ole God-fearing Christian.

He’s an outspoken anti-abortion proponent.

He was even invited to speak at the Republican National Convention in 2016.

Tebow’s reputation in Republican America reached a climax on Friday, when the United States inaugurated its first president to spend $12,000 on a signed Tebow helmet.

Fans of President Donald Trump often overlap with Tebow’s followers, but does the Heisman winner passionately support Trump like his voters say?

“@TimTebow We know you love #Trump as much as us! #SupportTheWall ...” one tweeted.

Politics makes strange bedfellows. And somehow, football fans have tucked Tebow and Trump together under the covers.

How did the rumor that Tebow loves Trump even start?

Maybe it began in 2010, when Tebow appeared in a Super Bowl ad sponsored by a pro-life group where his mom basically asked viewers to imagine if she had aborted him.

In addition, while Tebow was leading the Broncos to success in 2011, he was approached by several Republican candidates for endorsements, the Associated Press reported. Former Texas Gov. Rick Perry even called himself the “Tim Tebow of the Iowa Caucus.”

That was around the same time Trump bid $12,000 on a signed Tebow helmet and jersey at a charity auction — a purchase that was scrutinized after the Washington Post reported that Trump used his charity’s money to buy the personal gift.

But for all of the Tebow talk from Trump supporters, the Heisman winner has distanced himself from the new commander in chief.

Tebow publicly refuted a Trump adviser who said that the Gators legend took a speaking slot at the 2016 RNC.

And when Tebow was asked about the election in October, he did his best not to take any sides.

After being pressed, Tebow laughed.

“You so want to get something on this race!” he told the reporter from nj.com, going to great lengths to decline declaring support for either candidate despite being a registered Republican.

Trump supporters who salivate over Tebow’s celebrity are probably wrong that a child-health activist born in the Philippines voted for a candidate who bashed immigrants and mocked a disabled reporter.

So to that crossover group that praises No. 15 but protests No. 45, don’t worry: UF’s patron saint hasn’t endorsed your personal devil. At least publicly.

Matt Brannon is the assistant sports editor at the Alligator. His column appears on Mondays. Contact him at mbrannon@alligator.org, and follow him on Twitter @MattB_727.