<p>Caeleb Dressel set an American, NCAA and UF record, swimming a 39.90 in the 100 free at the NCAA Men's Swimming and Diving Championships.</p>

Caeleb Dressel set an American, NCAA and UF record, swimming a 39.90 in the 100 free at the NCAA Men's Swimming and Diving Championships.

As Florida swimmer Caeleb Dressel emerged from the water after completing the 100 free at the NCAA Men’s Swimming and Diving Championships, he pumped his fists and splashed water all around him.

The senior set a new American, NCAA and UF record with a time of 39.90, becoming the first person in history to set a time below 40 seconds in the process. It was the third historic day in a row for Dressel, as he had already set record-breaking times in the 50 free and 100 fly on Thursday and Friday, respectively.

Despite Dressel’s three individual national championships this week, UF ultimately finished in fifth place finish at the NCAA Championships with 347 points. Texas won the meet with 449 points, California finished second with 437.5 points and Indiana came in third with 422 points.

“We are not the most talented group of guys, but I really believe we are the hardest working team in America,” Dressel said in a release. “We did fall short this year. I believe that. But we went out with a bang and we didn’t let anyone down.”

Also competing for Florida on the last day of the meet were seniors Jan Switkowski and Mark Szaranek, as well as sophomore Khader Baqlah. Switkowski and Szaranek both set school records in their events — Switkowski with a time of 1:39.55 in the 200 fly and Szaranek with a time of 1:51.17 in the 200 breast. They finished second and third in their respective events.

Baqlah garnered Honorable Mention All-American Accolades by finishing seventh in the consolation final in the 100 free with a career-best time of 42.17.

Elsewhere on Saturday, seniors Ben Lawless and Blake Manganiello also received Honorable Mention All-American awards for their performance in the 1650 free. They finished 10th and 12th, respectively.

Dressel, Szaranek, Switkowski and Baqlah were a part of Florida’s 400 FR relay team that set a new school record with a time of 2:45.73. They finished in second place and received All-American honors.

“We did what we could, and I am just so proud of these guys,” Dressel said at the conclusion of the meet. “It has been such an amazing ride.”

Follow Sam Campisano on Twitter @samcampisano and contact him at scampisano@alligator.org.