<p>Offensive coordinator Kurt Roper addresses the media during his introductory press conference on Jan. 13. Four-star quarterback Sheriron Jones, who was recruited by Roper, committed to Florida on Sunday.</p>

Offensive coordinator Kurt Roper addresses the media during his introductory press conference on Jan. 13. Four-star quarterback Sheriron Jones, who was recruited by Roper, committed to Florida on Sunday.

The tight end position at Florida has been virtually nonexistent since the end of the 2012-2013 season when Jordan Reed declared for the NFL Draft.

Last year, tight ends Clay Burton and Tevin Westbrook combined for just four catches for 42 yards. But a transfer, who announced his decision Friday afternoon, may give the Gators the playmaker they desperately need at the position.

Enter former University of Virginia tight end Jake McGee. The 6-foot-5, 250-pound redshirt senior announced via Twitter on Friday that he would transfer to UF. The NCAA normally forces regular transfer students to sit out a year before joining their new team, but McGee is eligible this upcoming season because he is pursuing a graduate degree that is not offered at UVA and therefore is covered in the “one-time transfer exception” detailed in NCAA bylaw 14.1.8.1.

McGee plans to get a master’s degree in Sports Management. He started classes at UF on Monday.

“It’s something that I’m pretty excited about, and it’s been sort of a quick process but something that I feel really strong about and I’m excited to get to Gainesville,” McGee said in a phone interview Saturday.

He was the Cavalier’s leading receiver last season, racking up 395 yards and two touchdowns in 11 games. The Richmond, Va. native came through in the clutch as well with 14 of his 43 total catches coming on third down — including both his scores.

The Gators’ receiving statistics on a whole last year were nothing short of deplorable — UF finished the season ranked 116th in the nation in yards per reception.

But moving to a new up-tempo, spread offensive scheme means offensive coordinator Kurt Roper will be utilizing tight ends often with the goal of having them make plays in space.

“He’s a really smart offensive coordinator, and (he) puts the guys in the best situations to succeed,” McGee said. “From everything I’ve heard, there’s a lot of talent on this offense, and I think he’ll be able to make the most out of everyone.”

Roper, who was Duke’s offensive coordinator from 2008 to 2013, helped lead a Blue Devils’ offense to capture their first 10-win season in school history.

More importantly for McGee, Duke’s second leading receiver was tight end Braxton Deaver, who finished the year with 46 catches for 600 yards.

McGee said that Florida presented the best opportunity to have a successful fifth year of eligibility when he was weighing his options following the 2013-2014 season with UVA. He was granted his scholarship release from Virginia on April 25.

“It’s exciting to find a fit that I think is really good for me and to have an opportunity to have a good last season and play with a bunch of guys who have the same goal of winning and winning championships,” McGee said.

McGee is all too familiar with Roper’s offense — Virginia suffered a 35-22 loss to Duke on October 19. Deaver, playing at tight end for the Blue Devils, was Duke’s leading receiver in the game with two of his team’s three passing touchdowns.

McGee recorded four receptions for 32 yards, but the 6-foot-5 target was held without a score.

During his time at Virginia, he was used as more of a hybrid tight end/wide receiver within the Cavaliers’ offense. He said that as a versatile tight end he will be able to give more looks offensively for the Gators, and Roper will be able to find a good fit for him in the system.

“I move around a lot just as the type of player I am, whether it’s in the backfield, on the line or in the slot,” McGee said, “And coach Roper’s offense does a great job of putting the tight end position in a chance to succeed whether it’s on the line, off the ball or really anywhere on the field.”

Florida quarterback Jeff Driskel will be responsible for getting McGee the ball to make those much needed plays on offense. McGee said that meeting Driskel in person during his visit to UF him more excited to play with the redshirt junior this fall.

“I got to know him on my visit last weekend,” McGee said. “He’s a great guy, and I’m excited to get to start working with him and get some chemistry. He has a great arm and everything I’ve heard he’s a great leader on the team.”

While McGee didn’t get a chance to personally meet some of Florida’s tight ends and receivers, he said he has seen positive things from them in the film room.

“I haven’t met many of them yet,” he said. “I’ve seen some tape on them, and there are some guys that know them but once I get to know them I hope they take me in with open arms and sort of get to build a connection with them too.”

You may be wondering why McGee — an obviously talented playmaker — chose to come to UF, which is coming off a 4-8 season. But he said there is going to be criticism in every aspect of college sports and it’s his job to not let that affect his decisions.

“You have negative in everything that you do especially in college sports,” McGee said. “There are people that support you, people that don’t. But I don’t really look at or listen to that type of talk—and I just try to stay with the positive and what’s best for me.”

He added that Florida may surprise some people this season — something that every Gators fan wants to hear.

“From everything I’ve heard and everything I’ve seen, I think a good season is in store for next year and I’m excited to be a part of it.”

Follow Morgan Moriarty on Twitter @Morgan_Moriarty