Gatornationals: Force family enjoying opportunity to race together

<p>John Force races down the quarter-mile track at the Auto Plus Raceway in Gainesville during the 2015 Gatornationals on Saturday.</p>

John Force races down the quarter-mile track at the Auto Plus Raceway in Gainesville during the 2015 Gatornationals on Saturday.

The smell of burnt rubber.

The scream of the engines.

The blur of 7,000 horsepower.

For Gainesville, Gatornationals is the only time each year to experience these sights and sounds of drag racing’s elite.

But for the Forces — the epitome of the sport’s elite — it’s just another family weekend.

John Force is a National Hot Rod Association legend, winning 16 Funny Car titles during his illustrious career, including last year’s championship.

But his race team, John Force Racing, also fields cars for two of his daughters — Brittany and Courtney Force.

“It’s fun,” John said. “When they were growing up, I always joked NHRA took me away from my kids, and now they’re out here with me and all my grandkids. Yeah, life’s good.”

In the last two seasons, both daughters have proved they belong among the sport’s best.

Brittany drives in the NHRA Top Fuel series, and after making her debut in 2013 she recorded four runner-up finishes in 2014.

Courtney races in the Funny Car series along with her father. She made her debut in 2012 and has seven career wins, including four last season.

For both daughters, the choice to race came at different times in life.

At the age of 7, Courtney knew racing was what she wanted to do for a living.

“I was out here in diapers,” she said. “I loved getting dirty and I was covered in grease and dirt half the time.

“Being in the winner’s circle celebrating, it was just a lot of fun so I knew at a young age that that was exactly what I wanted to do - I knew I wanted to drive a Funny Car just like my dad.”

Brittany didn’t decide she wanted to race until she was 16, but she never thought she would make a career out of it. Instead, she planned on being a teacher and only participated in racing on the side.

But after getting the opportunity to make some runs in a Top Fuel car, her career in education took a backseat.

“After I made my first full pass, I changed my mind,” she said. “I knew (racing) was the direction I was going.”

Now, the family is out racing together every NHRA weekend. While most drivers and team members are forced to be away from their families, the Forces can’t get away from each other.

“Too much time,” Brittany said jokingly about how much time the family spends together. “We work together, we always book our travel together - I mean, this weekend it was my dad sitting between Courtney and I on a flight out here. We don’t ever get a break.”

But all kidding aside, she said she wouldn’t have it any other way.

“We’ve always been a very close family,” Brittany said. “We’re very blessed for that.”

Follow Graham Hack on Twitter @graham_hack24

Courtney Force races down the quarter-mile track at the Auto Plus Raceway in Gainesville during the 2015 Gatornationals on Saturday.

Brittany Force (right) talks with her team during a delay during the 2015 Gatornationals on Saturday at the Auto Plus Raceway in Gainesville.