Florida captures series against Alabama behind clutch hitting from Romanello

<p>Pitcher Kelly Barnhill gave up two runs on four hits in a complete game against Alabama on Monday. </p>

Pitcher Kelly Barnhill gave up two runs on four hits in a complete game against Alabama on Monday. 

The odds were stacked against Florida’s Danielle Romanello in the top of the sixth inning. The freshman catcher faced an 0-2 count against Alabama ace Alexis Osorio with two outs and the game tied.

However, she anticipated Osorio’s punchout pitch, a rise ball high in the zone.
Romanello pummeled the pitch over the right-field wall, helping the No. 4 Gators (34-6, 9-3 SEC) clinch the three-game series against the No. 15 Crimson Tide (25-11, 6-6 SEC) with her first collegiate homer.

She recorded UF’s only two hits of the night in UF’s 3-2 victory over Alabama at Rhoads Stadium in Monday night’s rubber match.

The home run was only Romanello’s second at-bat of the night. Her first in the top of the fourth was arguably just as clutch.

Down 2-0 with two outs, UF coach Tim Walton called upon Romanello to pinch-hit for center fielder Alex Voss. Third baseman Nicole DeWitt, second baseman Hannah Adams and catcher Janell Wheaton all reached on walks to load the bases and give Romanello an opportunity to possibly tie or take the lead.

The red-headed freshman roped a one-hopper off the right field wall that landed just inside the foul line, scoring DeWitt and Adams to make it 2-2.

“Well she has really done a great job all year long,” Walton said in a release. “To be able to come off the bench and get a pinch hit in any situation is so tough and for her to do it regularly is just really impressive.”

The Gators’ two hits were enough to secure the victory because of the high volume of walks they drew. They took first base on balls 11 times against Osorio, with DeWitt and left fielder Amanda Lorenz leading the way with three apiece. In the top of the fourth inning alone, Florida faced six 3-2 counts, which caused the half inning to last over 36 minutes.

In the home half of the innings, UF pitcher Kelly Barnhill pitched to pick up her 17th win of the season, but in uncharacteristic fashion.

Barnhill walked more batters (five) than she struck out (four) for the first time this season.  She threw three wild pitches after entering the game only having registered four in 2018.

She also allowed a two-run blast in the third inning to Alabama freshman Kaylee Tow. The homer was her eighth in her last nine starts. Barnhill only gave up five home runs over the entire 2017 campaign.

However, she delivered Walton his 700th win as UF’s head coach, and Florida reentered first place in the SEC standings with the victory.

“I am very proud of not only this team, but all of our coaches and all of our former players,” Walton said. “The legacy that we have built shows that it truly is great to be a Florida Gator."

Follow Mark Stine on Twitter @mstinejr and contact him at mstine@alligator.org.