<p>Senior Aleshia Ocasio torched Ohio State for a no-hitter on Sunday evening.</p>

Senior Aleshia Ocasio torched Ohio State for a no-hitter on Sunday evening.

Pitcher Aleshia Ocasio stepped to the plate in the top of the first with the bases loaded and two outs.

She adjusted her grip on the bat and focused on Alabama pitcher Courtney Gettins — who had already sent two strikes from the mound — and swung when the ball was thrown.

As the pitch found its way past Ocasio’s bat and into the glove of catcher Reagan Dykes, Crimson Tide fans erupted in excitement throughout Rhoads Stadium as Gettins successfully worked her team out of a bases-loaded jam.

Ocasio’s strikeout was her first of three for the contest, which contributed to a 3-2 loss for the No. 4 Gators against the No. 15 Crimson Tide in Tuscaloosa on Sunday.

Inefficient at-bats led to a subpar offensive performance for the Gators. Florida (33-6, 8-3 SEC) stranded 11 runners on base, compared to Alabama’s two, and had a team batting average of .286, compared to Alabama’s .333.

Despite the poor offensive outing, the Gators found a couple of highlight moments.

In the top of the fourth, shortstop Sophia Reynoso logged her first home run of the season. Reynoso sent the homer toward left field and was greeted by her teammates as she stepped on home plate.

One inning later, Ocasio sent a triple to right field, putting her in good position to tie up the game.

Janell Wheaton sent a double down the left-field foul line one at-bat later to score Ocasio.

For the Crimson Tide, center fielder Elissa Brown stole some of the spotlight with two hits, one run and two stolen bases. Brown stole second base after her first at-bat in the bottom of the first and stole second again in the bottom of the sixth.

In the circle, Ocasio tossed 90 pitches and struck out six batters for Florida. The Crimson Tide  used two pitchers in Gettins and senior Alexis Osorio, who combined for 148 pitches and six strikeouts. Osorio came in the relieve Gettins in the bottom of the fifth after Ocasio scored to tie the game at 2-2.

Heading into Monday’s final matchup in the series against the Crimson Tide, the Gators have a half-game lead over Georgia for second place in the SEC standings. Another loss for Florida would leave it tied for second with South Carolina.

The Gators will try to clinch a series win in Tuscaloosa tonight at 7 after UF defeated Alabama 6-1 on Saturday.

Follow Mari Faiello on Twitter @faiello_mari and contact her at mfaiello@alligator.org.