Florida goes for sweep of FSU: Over- and underachievers for week of April 3-9

<p>Shortstop Deacon Liput hit his second and third home runs of the season this weekend against Tennessee. </p>

Shortstop Deacon Liput hit his second and third home runs of the season this weekend against Tennessee. 

With Tennessee’s win over No. 1 Florida in Game 2 of Sunday’s doubleheader the Volunteers snapped the Gators’ nine-game winning streak. Though that aspect merely matched last season’s longest stretch of consecutive wins, the 2018 Gators offense emerged as a larger part of the team’s identity than it had been during the 2017 championship run. 

UF put up 85 runs (9.4 per game) during the winning streak. After launching 12 home runs during that time frame — with two additional homers coming in their 6-4 loss on Sunday — the Gators (28-6, 9-3 SEC) now have 54 on the year, one more than the team’s total from last season. 

The gaudy offensive numbers could be what’s needed to take down FSU (24-9, 8-5 SEC) tonight at 6 in Tallahassee. After the Gators beat the Seminoles 12-6 in Gainesville on March 13 in a slugfest that featured six homers between the two teams, the rematch two weeks later showcased a classic pitcher’s duel. FSU’s Andrew Karp took the 1-0 loss despite giving up just four hits in eight innings. 

Tonight, Karp (5-2, 3.07 ERA) will look to get his revenge when he takes the hill. Besides his most recent loss to UF, Karp also tossed seven innings while giving up one run in another 1-0 Florida victory in 2017. 

As intimidating as the Gators’ offense was when the FSU right-hander faced it in March, it may be even more effective after finding its rhythm while hiding its weaknesses in the last week. These are the players who have most over- and underachieved in that time frame. 

OVER

Austin Langworthy, LF: Eight games into the season, Langworthy was hitting a mere .133 from the leadoff spot. After UF’s series against Miami, coach Kevin O’Sullivan bumped right fielder Wil Dalton into his place and slid Langworthy down in the lineup. The move has paid dividends for both players, as Langworthy has rejuvenated his bat. He hit 8-for-17 (.471) in the last week, the best mark on the team in that span. He drove in three runs and stole a pair of bases in the Tennessee series while coming in from left field to pitch twice against the Volunteers. He allowed four hits in four scoreless innings in the series. 

Deacon Liput, SS: Almost as an afterthought to third baseman Jonathan India’s hitting streak and his home-run battle with Dalton, Liput has had time to recalibrate his swing after coming back from a pre-season suspension. He led the team in the past week with seven RBIs and went 9-of-21 (.429) from the plate. His penchant for getting on base has also led to a team-high eight runs in that stretch.

UNDER 

Blake Reese, 2B: While the junior from Tallahassee has no love lost for his home town’s university, Reese will need to channel that into getting back on track. He batted just 2-for-17 in the last week while striking out five times. He was the only starter to not record a hit in Florida’s 6-4 win against Tennessee in the first game of Sunday’s doubleheader. The pair of hits he did manage came during Florida’s 22-6 demolition of the Volunteers’ pitching staff.

Tyler Dyson, RHP: Making his eighth start of the season, Dyson entered Sunday with the hopes of a potential 10-game winning streak on his shoulders. Those hopes were quickly dented as he gave up six runs in 2.2 innings. Though he only surrendered three hits, his five walks were the most he has issued in any game of his career. He also hit two batters in his brief start.

Follow Morgan McMullen on Twitter @MorganMcMuffin and contact him at mmcmullen@alligator.org.