<p>Freshman midfielder Shannon Kavanagh scored four goals and added three assists in Saturday's win over Marquette. </p>

Freshman midfielder Shannon Kavanagh scored four goals and added three assists in Saturday's win over Marquette. 

When the Florida lacrosse team’s season began, expectations were high for returning starters like attackers Shayna Pirreca and Lindsey Ronbeck, midfielder Sydney Pirreca and defender Aniya Flanagan.

However, in its 17-16 overtime win over Loyola on Sunday, UF (2-1) turned to some new names to lead the team back after it trailed by four goals early in the second half.

Although Shayna Pirreca scored the game-winning goal, freshmen and bench players largely contributed to the comeback that allowed the Gators to get to overtime.

Freshman midfielder Shannon Kavanagh stepped up with a career-high four goals as well as three caused turnovers and two won draw controls.

Kavanagh has started all three games in her young career for the Gators and has taken the majority of draw controls so far this season.

Another freshman, defender Sabrina Cristodero, also might have had her best game so far, causing two turnovers and winning eight draw controls. One of those draw controls gave the Gators possession to open the overtime period, which led to the game-winning goal.

“Sabrina came up with the biggest (draw control) of her career,” UF coach Amanda O’Leary said after the game.

But it wasn’t just freshmen that stepped up on Sunday.

Sophomore attacker Madisyn Kittell played sparingly last season as a backup, but against Loyola, she had her premier game as a Gator. The Syracuse, New York, native scored two goals and caused three turnovers, including a swipe late in the game that she promptly put in the net before Greyhounds’ goalie Kady Glynn could react to the turnover. The goal tied the game and allowed the Gators to eventually win in overtime.

Shayna Pirreca certainly appreciated Kittell giving her the opportunity to win the contest for UF.

“I’m extremely proud of (Kittell) coming off the bench and having so much confidence out there,” she said. “She did amazing.”

For Kittell, it was the shining moment in her young career.

After a home match against Jacksonville on Wednesday night, the team will travel to play No. 8 North Carolina and No. 5 Syracuse, so there will be plenty of opportunities moving forward for Kittell to make plays for her team.

But for now, she’s happy to have contributed to the team’s win. She has made important plays before, but she knows her steal and game-tying goal are the defining moments of her career so far.

“That was the most exciting part right there,” Kittell said.

Follow Tyler Nettuno on Twitter @TylerNettuno and contact him at tnettuno@alligator.org.