Monday, March 18, 2024
<p>Graduate transfer Adam Shuler announced that he will be attending Florida. He has two years of eligibility remaining.&nbsp;</p>

Graduate transfer Adam Shuler announced that he will be attending Florida. He has two years of eligibility remaining. 

Coach Dan Mullen will have another defensive lineman to work with next season.

Graduate transfer Adam Shuler announced Monday on his Twitter that he’s transferring to Florida from West Virginia. Because he is a graduate transfer, Shuler will be immediately eligible for all team activities for the next two seasons.

The three-star prospect from Longwood, Florida, finished his 2017 redshirt sophomore season with 37 tackles, eight tackles for loss and three sacks in 12 games, including a big game in West Virginia’s opener against Virginia Tech where he tallied seven total tackles.

Shuler will join a strong defensive line that already has weapons, including senior CeCe Jefferson, sophomore Elijah Conliffe, junior Antonneous Clayton and redshirt freshman Zachary Carter.

The Gators also have a new defensive line coach, Sal Sunseri, who was hired in January after three seasons as the linebackers coach for the Oakland Raiders.

The 6-foot-4, 268-pound lineman is expected to be an immediate upgrade and help generate sacks for the Gators, as the team struggled in that area in 2017 with only 23.

Even though he missed all of spring practice, Shuler will have plenty of time to learn the new system before the team opens the 2018 season on Sept. 1 against Charleston Southern.

Dylan Rudolph is a sports writer. Follow him on Twitter @dyrudolph and contact him at drudolph@alligator.org.