TAKING A STAND: Strong defense, developing offense lift No. 11 Gators to road win over Missouri

<p>Florida defensive back Jalen Tabor, left, celebrates with teammates after he returned an interception for a touchdown during the second half of an NCAA college football game against Missouri, on Oct. 10 2015, in Columbia, Missouri.</p>

Florida defensive back Jalen Tabor, left, celebrates with teammates after he returned an interception for a touchdown during the second half of an NCAA college football game against Missouri, on Oct. 10 2015, in Columbia, Missouri.

COLUMBIA, Mo. – Jalen Tabor had dropped a sure-fire interception earlier in the game, but halfway through the third quarter, he made amends.

Tabor intercepted Missouri quarterback Drew Lock and sprinted 40 yards in the opposite direction for Florida’s third touchdown of the game, effectively ending any hopes the Tigers had of mounting a comeback on homecoming.

Florida’s offense was sporadic but its defense repeatedly demonstrated why it’s one of the elite units in the country as the No. 11 Gators downed the Tigers 21-3 in Columbia, Missouri, on Saturday night at Faurot Field.

For the first time in five games, the Gators (6-0, 3-0 Southeastern Conference) came out of the gate with an effective offense that marched down the field on a 12-play, 75-yard drive and capped by a 1-yard touchdown from junior running back Kelvin Taylor.

But UF’s defense seemed unprepared early for a pass-happy Missouri offense that would manage just 151 yards the entire game.

With the Tigers (4-2, 1-2 SEC) driving down to Florida’s 3-yard line, the Gators seemed set for an offensive shootout.

However, the defense bent without breaking, holding Missouri to just a field goal.

It would be the Tigers’ best offensive possession, as Florida’s defense dominated the rest of the way.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Will Grier was an effective 20-of-33 passing for 208 yards, but he was uncharacteristically skittish throughout the night.

“I thought he got spooked,” Florida coach Jim McElwain said following the game.

I didn't think he played very good, but he played great because he didn't throw it to their colored jerseys, and that's important. But he's a redshirt freshman learning how to play the game. I thought the first couple drives he was on-point, on-task and then something spooked him.”

But with Grier struggling, Taylor shined. The junior gashed the Tigers defense to the tune of 99 yards and two touchdowns while remaining an effective option in the passing game – a surprising sight, considering Taylor was frequently limited his first two seasons under former coach Will Muschamp due to his inability to pass block effectively.

Yet those problems appear to be behind him with the Gators riding Taylor and Florida’s backfield rotation taking a backseat.

“We’re never satisfied,” Taylor said. “We want to keep making plays and keep playing great ball. We’re playing great ball in the SEC but we need to work hard and get better.”

With Vernon Hargreaves III engaged in his usual lockdown defense, Tabor was given a chance to shine and made the most of his opportunities. Despite recording just a lone tackle, the sophomore came up with two critical pass break-ups and the game-sealing pick-six as the Gators rattled Lock all game.

“My whole career of high school I had one,” Tabor said of returning interceptions for touchdowns.

“Coach Mac preaches situational football. The game of football is based on all situations.  You see on third down, the money down, that’s the down we got to get off the field. Third down, it’s real big, it’s real big. We have to get off the field and we know that.”

Tabor and the Florida defense played the way they preached, as the Tigers were an abominable 1-for-14 on third down plays.

Following a tough 7-5 season, the Gators are undefeated and bowl-eligible under McElwain. But the Gators must face arguably their toughest test next week: Enter Death Valley in Baton Rouge and stop a Leonard Fournette-led LSU offense.

“It’s been a pretty long stretch here and it’s been a pretty emotional stretch, just kind of how we’ve been playing,” McElwain said. “We needed to win a game like that.”

Follow Graham Hall on Twitter @Graham311