Freshman Gerald Willis to transfer from Florida

<p>Demarcus Robinson (center) and Jalen Tabor (right) hold the Birmingham Bowl trophy while Gerald Willis looks on</p>

Demarcus Robinson (center) and Jalen Tabor (right) hold the Birmingham Bowl trophy while Gerald Willis looks on

Gerald Willis is no longer a member of the Florida football team.

UF announced Tuesday the true freshman will transfer from the program.

Willis was a four-star recruit out of New Orleans Edna Karr High and the No. 6 strongside defensive end in the 2014 recruiting class according to Rivals.com.

He committed to Florida at during the 2014 Under Armour All-America game.

While Willis showed spurts of potential on the field during his first year with the Gators, the true freshman defensive lineman also had his share of off-the-field issues in 2014.

The first was an altercation with quarterback Skyler Mornhinweg over a pair of cleats, an incident former coach Will Muschamp called a "tremendous misunderstanding."

The second, during Florida’s 24-19 loss against Florida State, Willis shoved FSU quarterback Jameis Winston as Winston ran out of bounds.

Muschamp said if he were still the head coach, Willis would have been off the team immediately.

Willis played in eight games in 2014, recording 14 tackles, two quarterback hurries, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.