<p class="p1">Treon Harris takes a snap during practice on Aug. 14 at Donald R. Dizney Stadium. Harris was named Florida's backup quarterback on Tuesday.</p>

Treon Harris takes a snap during practice on Aug. 14 at Donald R. Dizney Stadium. Harris was named Florida's backup quarterback on Tuesday.

Treon Harris won the first battle.

Coach Will Muschamp announced on Tuesday that the true freshman edged out fellow freshman Will Grier and redshirt sophomore Skyler Mornhinweg for the backup quarterback position behind starter Jeff Driskel.

But his spot as the No. 2 quarterback is not set in stone.

"Treon has some things he can provide for us offensively, but that’s nothing that’s made for the long term," Muschamp said. "No one’s been redshirted. No decisions have been made with Will Grier, Skyler Mornhinweg or anyone else. All of those guys did some good things and we’re gonna move forward from week-to-week on that situation there."

Added Driskel: "I think there is a lot of talent behind me at quarterback. I think Treon gives us a little bit more as far as short yardage packages or coming in wildcat kind of deals. They’re going to keep competing, they’re going to keep battling. I told all of the guys this isn’t a permanent thing."

If the situation presents itself, Muschamp still plans on inserting Harris into Saturday’s season opener against Idaho.

"I think a lot of that will be determined game day and the situation of the game and those sort of things," Muschamp said, "but we’d like to."

Back in 2011, Driskel, then the backup to starting quarterback John Brantley, played two drives in Florida’s season opener against Florida Atlantic.

His first pass attempt was an interception.

Heading into Saturday’s matchup against the Vandals, the Oviedo, Fla., native and now-starter hopes the same doesn’t happen for Harris.

"You’re not always going to make the right read or make the perfect throw, but it’s a long season and a long game," he said. "You’ve got to be able to put that in the past and move on. Coach’s mindset this year is play to the next play and that’s what you’re going to have to do. But I hope the younger quarterbacks don’t throw picks on their first play."

Secondary starters announced: Muschamp announced that junior Brian Poole will start at the cornerback position opposite Vernon Hargreaves III, and senior Jabari Gorman received the nod to start at safety along with Keanu Neal.

With the exception of Neal, who Muschamp said is the team’s top safety, each member of the starting secondary started at least five games in 2013.

Hargreaves, a member of the preseason All-Southeastern Conference first team, led Florida with 11 pass breakups and three interceptions in 2013.

Gorman led the group with 48 tackles last season — good for sixth on the team and fourth among players still on UF’s roster — while also recording an interception, a forced fumble and seven pass breakups.

Poole, who started six games at the nickel cornerback position, tallied 32 tackles, two interceptions and three pass breakups in his sophomore year after recording just three tackles in 2012.

And even though true freshmen Jalen Tabor, J.C. Jackson and Quincy Williams are not starting, Muschamp said all three will receive playing time on Saturday.

"Those guys will play on special teams during the game," Muschamp said, "and depending on how they progress in practice during the week will determine how much corner they play."

True freshman Duke Dawson and redshirt freshmen Nick Washington and Marcell Harris will also have the opportunity to play at safety.

Other position battles: The starter at running back is still up for grabs between sophomore Kelvin Taylor, junior Matt Jones and redshirt senior Mack Brown. Freshman Brandon Powell also has the chance to see the field because of his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield, Muschamp said.

Clay Burton holds the starting tight end position over redshirt senior transfer Jake McGee, but Muschamp has praised both on their progression throughout camp.

Junior Latroy Pittman is projected as the starting slot receiver.

Follow Jordan McPherson on Twitter @J_McPherson1126