Washington Redskins tight end Jordan Reed (86) gains yardage after catching a pass as Washington Redskins linebacker Carlos Fields (59) pursues in the first half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Jan. 3, 2016, in Arlington, Texas. (AP Photo/Michael Ainsworth)

The Redskins are one of the hottest NFL teams headed into the playoffs, and one of the biggest reasons has been the emergence of former UF tight end Jordan Reed.

After struggling to stay on the field due to injuries through his first two years, Reed has stayed relatively healthy this season, playing in 14 games.

The result has been a season in which the third-year player recorded the second-most receptions (87) and fifth-most yards (952) among NFL tight ends, including 378 yards and five touchdowns in his last four games while Washington clinched the NFC East.

Reed has been a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses and has been one of the primary targets for quarterback Kirk Cousins, who has undergone an emergence of his own over the second half of the season.

Cousins will be looking for the tight end often against the Packers’ sixth ranked pass defense on Sunday, when the Redskins try to notch their first playoff win since the 2005 season.

Another former UF player on the Redskins’ roster is running back Matt Jones, who has enjoyed a successful rookie season.

Jones finished second on the team with 490 rushing yards in the regular season, while also adding 304 receiving yards and four total touchdowns. The rookie played in 13 games this year but missed the last two with a hip pointer. His status for Sunday’s game is uncertain, although he did practice in a limited fashion on Wednesday.

Cincinnati relying on former UF defenders:

The Bengals will try — yet again — for their first playoff win since the 1991 season when they host Pittsburgh on Saturday night. It’s been an unattainable feat over the past few seasons.

But with quarterback Andy Dalton still sidelined with a thumb injury, former Alabama quarterback A.J. McCarron will be the man at the helm — a player with just three NFL starts under his belt.

Cincinnati’s defense will need to help the young quarterback, particularly former UF safety Reggie Nelson and former UF defensive lineman Carlos Dunlap. After five solid seasons in Cincinnati, Nelson has improved his play this season and is enjoying the best year of his career. Nelson was one of two players who led the league with eight interceptions this season, while also adding 77 tackles, good for second on the team.

Meanwhile, Dunlap has been a quarterback nightmare in 2015, recording 13.5 sacks, good for fourth best in the NFL. The defensive end also forced two fumbles this year and will be looking to get after Pittsburgh signal caller Ben Roethlisberger on Saturday.

Floyd making first playoff appearance for Minnesota:

Former UF defensive lineman Sharrif Floyd’s performance in 2015 fell off from a season ago. He notched just 2.5 sacks and 19 tackles after having 4.5 sacks and 29 tackles a year ago.

But despite the lack of growth from the former 2013 first round pick, his team improved dramatically this year, winning the NFC North behind the return of running back Adrian Peterson and making the playoffs for the first time since 2012 — the year before Floyd was drafted.

The third-year player will get his first taste of the postseason when the Vikings host the Seahawks and quarterback Russell Wilson on Sunday afternoon.

Follow Graham Hack on Twitter @graham_hack24