Four-star quarterback and Florida State verbal commit Deondre Francois started a firestorm Thursday afternoon when a tweet was posted to his account @Deondre_3 that read "I’m officially decommiting from the (sic) university of Florida state."

The news was originally confirmed with a position coach at IMG Academy.

After alligatorSports spoke with Francois’ head coach, former FSU quarterback Chris Weinke, Francois’ status was placed back up in the air. Weinke said the coach who originally confirmed the report to alligatorSports was not in a position to "speak for the program," and at the time, Weinke had not spoken to or met with Francois and he did not know whether Francois did or did not decommit from the Seminoles.

As Thursday afternoon turned to evening, the party line around Francois was that his Twitter account was hacked. FSU running back commit Jacques Patrick tweeted "everybody can relax I just talked to (Francois) and he is still committed to FSU! Someone had hacked his twitter account."

Francois then broke a near two-hour Twitter silence writing "I apologize for the inconvenience. It was a mistake. My Twitter account was hacked. I am still 100% committed to FSU."

The Gators do not have a quarterback committed in its 2015 signing class and a Francois flip in the same fashion Treon Harris did last season so late in the recruiting cycle from a bitter rival would be a coup for UF’s new coaching staff.

Francois came to Gainesville on an official visit Jan. 23 and FSU’s coaches made an in-home visit to him three days later.

Follow Richard Johnson on Twitter @RagjUF