<p>UF defensive end Alex McCalister attempts to sack Ole Miss quarterback Chad Kelly during Florida's 38-10 win against the Rebels on Oct. 3, 2015, at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.</p>

UF defensive end Alex McCalister attempts to sack Ole Miss quarterback Chad Kelly during Florida's 38-10 win against the Rebels on Oct. 3, 2015, at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

To the average fan, Florida’s defensive line has exceeded expectations so far this season.

Game after game, the Gators have played mercy with opposing quarterbacks, winning the battle in the trenches more often than not.

But to defensive line coach Chris Rumph, the group is nowhere near where it needs to be.

"There’s so much more out there. We left so much on the field," Rumph said, "so we’ve got to work even harder each week."

Through five games, the Gators are second in the Southeastern Conference and tied for sixth nationally with 18 sacks and have recorded at least three sacks in four straight games.

In its 13-game 2014 season, Florida’s defense sacked the quarterback just 30 times.

Different players have had shining moments throughout the early season.

Senior Jon Bullard leads the way with 4.5 sacks, recording at least half a sack in the last four games while being a disruptive force at defensive tackle.

Redshirt junior Bryan Cox Jr. has recovered a fumble in back-to-back games, each setting up a touchdown five plays later.

Outside pass rushers Alex McCalister and CeCe Jefferson have combined for 7.5 quarterback hurries and three fumble recoveries.

But Rumph said the team's performance supersedes the individual accolades.

"We have some guys that have some good individual performances the first few games, but as a unit, we’ve still got a ways to go," he said.

"Those guys have to get better, I’ve got to coach them better."

That process of improving will continue on Saturday, when No. 11 Florida (5-0, 3-0 Southeastern Conference) goes up against a battle-tested Missouri team looking to stay relevant in the conference title race.

The Tigers (4-1, 1-1 SEC) field a veteran offensive line, a group of five seniors with a combined 92 starts among them heading into this season.

Despite the experience, the group has struggled, giving up an SEC-worst 38 tackles behind the line of scrimmage.

And yet while the Tigers’ offense is losing the battle up front, they have only surrendered nine sacks this year, a testament to how quickly their quarterbacks release the ball.

"You just got to keep going," McCalister said, "because there’s going to be a time where you hold that ball just one more second where we do get to them and get the ball out (and) get it back to our offense. It’s important to them boys."

And even with freshman quarterback Drew Lock filling in for suspended starter Maty Mauk (violation of team rules) for the second straight week, Missouri is hoping to not skip a beat.

In Missouri’s 24-10 win over South Carolina, Lock held his own, completing 75 percent of his passes and throwing two touchdowns.

"If (Lock’s) going to be the guy, they had packages for him all year, so it’s not like he’s a first-time starter who’s never played before," UF coach Jim McElwain said.

"But the way he commands, knowing where to go with it. I think that’s a credit to what they do offensively."

But to Rumph, the guy calling the shots doesn’t matter. If the offensive line has experience, the Gators will still have a challenge.

"You tell me they got five brand new offensive linemen then I’d be able to be licking my chops," he said, "but those guys are going to be there and they’re going to be protecting him the same way they’re protecting Mauk."

Follow Jordan McPherson on Twitter @J_McPherson1126