<p>UF quarterback Treon Harris passes during Florida's 27-2 loss to Florida State on Nov. 28, 2015, at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.</p>

UF quarterback Treon Harris passes during Florida's 27-2 loss to Florida State on Nov. 28, 2015, at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

Quarterback Treon Harris has failed to move Florida’s offense over the last month.

Jim McElwain can only blame himself.

The first-year UF coach has spent his first 12 months in Gainesville installing a pro-style offense, one that relies on the quarterback to be a quality pocket passer, a billing that Harris doesn’t quite fit.

But with Florida’s only other options at quarterback being a converted wide receiver in Josh Grady and a group of practice squad bodies, McElwain has no choice but to send Harris out on every play.

"You need to look a little bit at me and what I’m asking him to do as well, and trying to push the envelope a little bit," McElwain said. "That’s how we’re going to be offensively as we continue to grow."

For now, Harris is Florida’s quarterback.

And McElwain said he has the utmost confidence in him heading into Saturday’s Southeastern Conference Championship Game against Alabama.

"He’s learning," McElwain said. "He’s there, he’s engaged. … I’m glad he’s our quarterback."

Harris’ pure passing numbers over the past four games have been paltry.

Dating back to the win against Vanderbilt on Nov. 7, the 5-foot-11 sophomore has completed just 58 of his 112 passes (51.8 percent) for 670 yards. He’s thrown more interceptions (four) than touchdowns (three).

In Saturday’s 27-2 loss to Florida State, Harris accounted for just 134 yards on 19-of-38 passing, averaging just 3.5 yards per attempt.

But his teammates said Harris’ confidence hasn’t been rattled.

"He has good confidence," running back Kelvin Taylor said. "He has to just keep on playing his game. … We’re just going to keep rallying around him and keep believing in him and everything else will be OK."

Added wide receiver Brandon Powell: "People judge him off of one game, but I mean that’s what people want to do. But as a team, we still love Treon and he’s going to be our quarterback Saturday. And we’re going to go out and try to get that W."

At the top of Harris’ skill set is his ability to scramble and keep plays alive with his feet.

But the Gators have failed to utilize that talent as of late — partly because of the offensive scheme, partly because of the injury risk — even though they see success when Harris tucks the ball away and runs.

Not including the 15 times he was sacked, Harris has rushed the ball just 25 times in the last four games.

On those 25 carries, he’s gained 168 yards, a 6.7 yards-per-carry average.

"I just think that’s a part of his game that makes him excel, the ability to excel at the position you can use his feet to make plays," tight end Jake McGee said, "but he also has a heck of an arm and it’s something that we need to be able to use this week."

McElwain could let Harris run free against Alabama.

Since McElwain left Alabama to become a head coach before the 2012 season, Alabama has racked up just six losses.

Of those six, four saw the opposing quarterback rush at least 10 times.

Giving Harris room to run could be the deciding factor.

It defies McElwain’s style, but he’ll take the gamble if it means the chance to pull off the upset.

"We’ll put something together to hopefully at least make them think," McElwain said.

"My biggest thing is I just hope they come away scratching their heads and say, ‘that was cute.’"

Follow Jordan McPherson on Twitter @J_McPherson1126