<p>Dante Fowler Jr. awaits a snap during Florida’s 24-7 win against Kentucky on Sept. 28, 2013, at Commonwealth Stadium. Fowler looks to become one of UF's leaders on defense this season.</p>

Dante Fowler Jr. awaits a snap during Florida’s 24-7 win against Kentucky on Sept. 28, 2013, at Commonwealth Stadium. Fowler looks to become one of UF's leaders on defense this season.

AlligatorSports continues its Gators football position preview by looking at the defensive line and linebackers.

There are a number of players along the defensive line that will have to step into a leadership role for 2014. The loss of Dominique Easley — who was drafted in May by the New England Patriots — to an ACL tear early last season was a huge blow to the entire defense’s morale.

One of the new leaders for 2014 is Dante Fowler, Jr.

Fowler will start at the Buck position — a hybrid defensive end/linebacker in Will Muschamp’s defensive scheme.

As a sophomore, he led the team in sacks with 3.5 along with seven quarterback hurries. His speed and explosiveness to get around the edge will once again provide the defense with a strong pass rush.

If he continues to get off blocks and disrupt quarterbacks this season, Fowler will be at the top of the stat charts by the end of the season again.

Defensive tackle Darious Cummings will look to finish his Gators career on a high note in 2014. He came on strong toward the end of last season, racking up 13 of his 15 tackles in the final six games of the year.

Redshirt senior Leon Orr did not participate in spring due to a fractured wrist, but he will be ready for fall camp.

Orr is the likely candidate to win the starting nose tackle job this fall. He played in all 12 games last year, including the South Carolina contest on Nov. 16 when he tied his career-high of four tackles.

Jon Bullard saw reps at defensive tackle frequently in 2013 due to Easley’s injury, but he should be back at defensive end when the season starts Aug. 30. He finished second among defensive linemen with 33 tackles last year. With Fowler on the other end, the two have the potential to be one of the best pass rushing duos in the Southeastern Conference.

The linebacker corps will be without Ronald Powell this season, but it will welcome back Michael Taylor and Antonio Morrison.  

Redshirt senior Neiron Ball should be taking over for Powell at the Sam position. Ball has the veteran experience to lead the group having played in 36 games over his career at Florida. His best game last season came against South Carolina when he had a career-high six tackles. Ball finished the year with 25 tackles.

Taylor returns to the roster after leading the team in total tackles (62) last season. However, he will have to battle with sophomore Jarrad Davis for the starting Mike spot. He had 24 total tackles last season and was named a team captain for the Missouri and South Carolina games.

Morrison is back fully healthy after a knee injury ended his season in the Vanderbilt game. Despite missing the last three games of the season, he finished the year second on the team with 56 total tackles.

Follow Morgan Moriarty on Twitter @Morgan_Moriarty