UF players: 'Anything can happen' against ‘Bama

<p>Jalen Tabor (31) claps before walking out of the tunnel at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium during Florida's 33-0 win over North Texas on Sept. 17, 2016.</p>

Jalen Tabor (31) claps before walking out of the tunnel at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium during Florida's 33-0 win over North Texas on Sept. 17, 2016.

Jalen Tabor remembers the feeling.

He was just a sophomore at the time, overshadowed by the spotlight cast by fellow defensive back Vernon Hargreaves, Florida’s featured cover corner.

Still, Tabor remembers the feeling during the 2015 Southeastern Conference Championship well — the one most players get when they face the Alabama Crimson Tide.

“For the first time ever playing football,” Tabor said on Monday, “I kind of felt like it was a little bit tougher than it normally was.”

Alabama will do that to you.

Over the last decade, coach Nick Saban has built a powerhouse in Tuscaloosa, a feared football program that consistently brings in the nation’s top high school recruits and hovers around the national championship conversation year after year.

The Crimson Tide haven’t lost since September of 2015. They’re riding a 24-game winning streak with a 2015 NCAA title sandwiched between.

Florida will try to keep them from winning their third-straight SEC championship on Saturday.

“It’s kind of like a minor-league NFL game,” UF quarterback Austin Appleby said. “There’s going to be first rounders and NFL players all over the field.”

And on paper, the matchup only seems more challenging.

But just how difficult a task will it be for Florida to unseat Alabama?

The Crimson Tide rank first in the SEC in scoring offense (39.4 points per game), scoring defense (11.4 ppg), rushing defense (68.7 yards per game) and total defense (246.8 ypg).

Of the last five meetings between Florida and Alabama, all of which UF has lost, the Gators have been defeated by an average margin of about 21 points.

In addition, UF is expected to be without at least seven of its starters, six of which are on defense.

Even so, defensive lineman Joey Ivie said Florida can’t view themselves as underdogs, even though most betting websites list Alabama as a 24-point favorite.

“Personally, you can’t think like that,” Ivie said. “Anything can happen.”

Instead, UF’s players are hoping to replicate what only one other team has done to Alabama in its last 27 games: knock off the Tide.

But even in its 43-37 loss to Ole Miss last season, Alabama had an impressive outing.

It converted over 50 percent of its third-down attempts, finished with 215 rushing yards and outgained the Rebels by 70 total yards.

The reason Alabama lost?

Turnovers.

Former Crimson Tide quarterback Jake Coker threw two interceptions while backup quarterback Cooper Bateman threw one pick. Alabama also fumbled twice, ceding possession both times.

Florida, tied for fifth in the SEC with 21 turnovers forced, will likely have to force a few on Saturday if it has any hopes of winning.

Otherwise, Tabor’s feeling — the one that reoccurs each time he steps on the field against No. 1-ranked Alabama — will return.

“There’s a reason why they’re the No. 1 team in the country. There’s a reason why they haven’t lost this year. There’s a reason they’re going to their third-(straight) SEC Championship,” Tabor said.

“It’s different. When you play those guys, you’ve got to step on the field correctly, and you’ve got to come with everything you’ve got.”

Contact Ian Cohen at icohen@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @icohenb.