<p>UF athletics director Jeremy Foley speaks during new head football coach Jim McElwain's opening press conference on Saturday in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.</p>

UF athletics director Jeremy Foley speaks during new head football coach Jim McElwain's opening press conference on Saturday in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

Florida’s football game against LSU has been postponed.

Both schools confirmed Thursday afternoon that the game won’t take place this weekend because of Hurricane Matthew. UF said it will work with LSU and the Southeastern Conference to reschedule the game if possible.

“People’s safety is what matters,” Florida athletics director Jeremy Foley said, “and that’s why the decision was made.”

Foley said the schools have been communicating with the SEC since Tuesday and added that, on Wednesday, all sides thought the game would be played.

“And then, as we all know, the storm — even late (Thursday) afternoon — took a turn,” Foley said.

As a result of changes in Hurricane Matthew’s forecast, Foley said it was logistically impossible to play the game in Gainesville. He said police and emergency personnel informed him that their resources were needed elsewhere.

“Obviously you cannot play a game under those circumstances,” he said, “nor would you want to.”

Foley also confirmed rumors that LSU had offered to host the game, but he cited the same logistical concerns.

Putting together a trip to Baton Rouge in a day and a half would “not be in the best interest of safety, not in the best interest of people that would be involved in that trip,” he said.

He added that holding the game somewhere other than Baton Rouge or Gainesville was never discussed.

Foley didn’t provide specifics about where or if the game would be rescheduled.

However, he said UF is committed to working with the SEC to reschedule the game.

“Whatever scenario (the SEC) comes up with,” Foley said, “we’re gonna be in favor of.”

Contact Ethan Bauer at ebauer@alligator.org or follow him on Twitter @ebaueri