<p>Florida's Vernon Hargreaves speaks to the media during the NCAA college football Southeastern Conference Media Days, Monday, July 13, 2015, in Hoover, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)</p>

Florida's Vernon Hargreaves speaks to the media during the NCAA college football Southeastern Conference Media Days, Monday, July 13, 2015, in Hoover, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)

HOOVER, Ala. — As Vernon Hargreaves III enters his third season at Florida, there isn’t much the All-American defensive back can improve upon.

But even with the accolades that he’s garnered during his first two seasons as a Gator, including being named a semifinalist for the Chuck Bednarik Award last season, the Tampa native continues to hone his craft.

"It’s going to sound cliché but everything," Hargreaves said when asked what he’s been working on.

"All aspects of my game. Tackling, getting faster, getting quicker, press coverage, off coverage. I’m just working on my game, trying to be better than what I already am."

One person who is working with Hargreaves is UF defensive backs coach Kirk Callahan.

Callahan came to Florida from UCF, and in the small amount of time that Hargreaves has worked with him he’s received some solid advice from the new coach.

"I guess playing your game more than anything," Hargreaves said. "Not necessarily try to be anybody else. You gotta do what’s comfortable to you and just play hard, play fast. Not too much, yet."

It’s easy for Hargreaves to feel comfortable, considering his evaluation of his own talent.

He doesn’t think there’s another defensive back like him in the country, let alone in the SEC.

"I’m the best corner in college football," Hargreaves said. "Without a doubt."

One of the things he hasn’t had to work on is his level of competitiveness. Coach Jim McElwain has seen how Hargreaves makes those around him better with his tireless work ethic.

"He’s all that’s been advertised," McElwain said. "That guy is a great player, understands how to handle himself, gets it and he loves to compete. When the competition is there he elevates his play a little bit more, which then in turn the people around him they can elevate a little bit based on that energy."

Bringing out the best in others is one of the things that separate’s Hargreaves. He embraces being the guy that’s always pushing his teammates.

"It’s just compete hard all the time. Just take no plays off, don’t give anybody any breaks," Hargreaves said.

"Some guys you know you’re better than don’t give them any breaks. Keep going as hard as you can."

With Fall camp getting underway on Aug. 6 and the season opening a month after, there are a lot of pieces in the secondary for defensive coordinator Geoff Collins and Callahan to work with.

Hargreaves isn’t the only one with a chance to shine this season with Jalen Tabor, Quincy Wilson, Brian Poole and Keanu Neal returning for the Gators. Hargreaves said the defense is going to rely on the secondary because it’s the best part of the team.

It’s a unit that could be among one of the best in the country if they live up to their potential. Hargreaves doesn’t plan on disappointing, but like the SEC Media Days, everything is all talk at this point. Nothing matters until the season opens.

"I think we can be the best if we want to be. " Hargreaves said.

"The only way that we’re going to find out is when the season starts."