ANOTHER CLOSE CALL: UF needs overtime to squeak past FAU

<p>UF cornerback Brian Poole (24) reacts after deflecting a pass intended for Florida Atlantic receiver Jenson Stoshak to seal Florida's 20-14 overtime win against FAU on Nov. 21, 2015, at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.</p>

UF cornerback Brian Poole (24) reacts after deflecting a pass intended for Florida Atlantic receiver Jenson Stoshak to seal Florida's 20-14 overtime win against FAU on Nov. 21, 2015, at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

With the rain coming down at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium and with Florida’s College Football Playoff hopes in the balance, the Gators leaned on their defense to come up with one more stop in overtime to make sure their playoff hopes didn’t drown.

Cornerback Brian Poole broke up Florida Atlantic quarterback Jaquez Johnson’s final two passes in the redzone — one to Nate Terry and the last one to Jenson Stoshak — as No. 8 UF escaped with a 20-14 overtime win over the Owls.

The Owls came into the game as a more than a four touchdown underdog, but Florida found itself in a dogfight, having to overcome an inconsistent offense and a non-existent place kicking game to grind out the win.  

“They beat us to every punch up front,” McElwain said. “They had more energy. They played the way the game should be played – physical, point of attack and beat the heck out of us.”

McElwain said Florida (10-1) lacked energy on offense, as Treon Harris and the offensive line struggled to get things going. Harris was 8-of-17 for 122 yards with two touchdowns and one interception while also being sacked five times.

The Gators gained just 252 yards of total offense compared to the Owls’ 299 yards and McElwain wasn’t too pleased with the energy of some of the players on the offense.

“When you guys go to like a seafood market you see all those dead fish on ice? That’s the energy they’re playing with right now,” McElwain said.

Before Poole’s key pass breakups, UF got the ball first and scored to open overtime when Harris threw back to tight end Jake McGee to give the Gators a 20-14 lead. Austin Hardin though missed the extra point to go along with two more missed field goals during the game.

McGee said the play call was implemented in practice leading up to the game.  

“It's something that worked,” McGee said. “I thought it was going to be a little more open but you know when the ball is in your hands it's your job to make a play. “It happened at a good time and we were able to sneak out of there with a win.”

Both teams struggled in the first half to get either of their offenses in rhythm, with both teams combining for nine punts and two missed field goals for a scoreless opening stanza.

Florida opened the scoring when linebacker Antonio Morrison stripped sacked FAU backup quarterback Jason Driskel and Taven Bryan recovered the fumble and ran 48 yards down to the 2-yard line.

“Big play on the defense. He’s the heart and soul of our defense. I feel like he’s the best linebacker in the country,” cornerback Jalen Tabor said of Morrison’s sack-fumble. “That was a key play in the game.”

Running back Kelvin Taylor scored two plays later to put the Gators up 7-0. Taylor’s touchdown was his 13th of the season, and he finished the game with 98 rushing yards on 25 carries.

Florida increased its lead to 14 when Harris threw a 53-yard touchdown pass to Antonio Callaway.

But the Owls (2-9) fought back and tied the game up at 14 when Trey Hendrickson sacked and Harris fumbled as the ball rolled into the endzone with Ocie Rose pouncing on it.

The Gators needed Poole’s heroics at the end to keep them alive for a chance for a spot in the CFP.

“Poole came up clutch at the end of the game, proud of Poole,” said Tabor, who had a big day himself with five pass breakups and an interception. “I’m really proud of Poole. He stepped up and won us the game.”

Follow Luis Torres on Twitter @LFTorresIII