<p>Marcus Roberson returns a punt during Florida’s 21-16 loss to Miami on Sept. 7 in Sun Life Stadium. Roberson is expected to play against LSU.</p>

Marcus Roberson returns a punt during Florida’s 21-16 loss to Miami on Sept. 7 in Sun Life Stadium. Roberson is expected to play against LSU.

It took more than 35 minutes for Florida to commit a penalty against Arkansas on Saturday. But once the first flag was thrown, they littered the field.

The No. 17 Gators (4-1, 3-0 Southeastern Conference) committed eight penalties for 84 yards in the second half against the Razorbacks after completing their first penalty-free half under coach Will Muschamp before halftime.

“Aggressive penalties we can handle, we can take,” defensive coordinator D.J. Durkin said.

“Dumb penalties, penalties that are totally avoidable, those are the ones we can’t have and need to correct, and we deal with pretty matter-of-factly and harshly.”

The dam broke when referees flagged center Jon Harrison for unsportsmanlike conduct in the third quarter. Harrison allegedly made contact with a referee after a play, and he was disqualified for the rest of the game.

“Jon’s an emotional guy,” coach Will Muschamp said after the game. “He lost his temper and did something he shouldn’t have done. He was ejected from the game, and rightfully so.”

From there, the penalty yardage came in bunches, and three of the flags cost Florida 15 yards each.

Sam linebacker Ronald Powell and Buck linebacker Dante Fowler Jr. both roughed the passer and Powell was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Both of Powell’s penalties came on Arkansas’ final drive, in which the Razorbacks advanced to the Gators 3-yard line.

“Some of those in that game those were close calls,” Durkin said. “Our guys we definitely don’t want to slow them down. We (want) them playing aggressive. That’s part of why we’ve been able to be effective this time of year.”

Cornerback close to returning: Junior Marcus Roberson has not played since suffering a sprained knee against Miami on Sept. 7, but Durkin said he expects the cornerback to play against No. 10 LSU (5-1, 2-1 SEC) on Saturday.

“He’s continuing to get better and better like you’d except a guy coming off an injury,” Durkin said.

Roberson practiced prior to Florida’s games against Kentucky and Arkansas but did not play.

Roberson has four tackles in 2013 and one pass breakup in two games.

“We want to make sure he’s 100 percent when we put him out there on the field,” Durkin said.

Gators add killer threat: In the absence of defensive lineman Dominique Easley (knee), Florida has added a friend of his to team meetings — Easley’s stuffed “Chucky” doll.

Chucky, the star of the “Child’s Play” film series, has sat in on defensive meetings with the rest of the unit.

Since Easley suffered a torn ACL, Fowler has taken over doll duty, carrying the movie character to postgame interviews.

“He always has the Chucky doll everywhere he goes,” defensive back Jaylen Watkins said on Sept. 30. “Actually seeing that made everybody cheer up a little bit about not having [Easley] there.”

Added Durkin: “Chucky’s welcome in all our meetings. … He’s learning the defense.”

Follow Adam Lichtenstein on Twitter @ALichtenstein24.