• November 23, 2014

Hernandez still outside stadium

Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 12:27 am | Updated: 12:56 am, Tue Jul 30, 2013.

Aaron Hernandez is no longer be a member of the New England Patriots or this year’s version of EA Sports’ Madden NFL, but the former Gator still has his name cemented in front of the James W. “Bill” Heavener football complex – for now.

A UF spokesman said the school had not discussed removing the brick because much of the administration is not in Gainesville.

The University of Florida awarded Hernandez with an All-American brick for his efforts during his 2010 campaign.

The brick remains despite the recent allegations against Hernandez..

Bricks are awarded to Florida players who have earned first-team All-America honors and are located on the Gator Walk entrance in front of Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

It is unclear whether the University Athletic Association will continue to acknowledge his success on the field given his recent involvement in the death of former semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd.

Hernandez is currently being held without bail after pleading not guilty to first-degree murder and five firearms-related charges. Hernandez is also being investigated in connection with a double murder that took place in June of 2012, and is currently involved in a lawsuit in which he was accused of shooting an individual in his right eye.

As a junior in 2009, Hernandez was recognized as both a first-team All-American and All-Southeastern Conference selection. He led the Gators in receptions with 68 for 850 yards and five touchdowns, and was awarded the John Mackey Award given annually to college football’s best tight end.

In the 2009 BCS National Championship, Hernandez led Florida with 57 reception yards on five catches to oust the Oklahoma Sooners 24-14. After his junior season he elected to forgo his final year at Florida to enter the 2010 NFL Draft, where he was selected 113th overall by New England.

In his three seasons with the Patriots, Hernandez racked up 175 receptions for 1,956 yards and 18 touchdowns. In 2011, Hernandez and teammate Rob Gronkowski set NFL records for yardage, receptions and touchdowns by a pair of tight ends on a single team.

Contact Chuck Kingsbury at ckingsbury@alligator.org.

1 comment:

• MummysCurse posted at 11:15 am on Thu, Jul 11, 2013.

MummysCurse Posts: 195

Hernandez's brick honors his accomplishments on the field as a UF football player; it doesn't say "he's an exemplary human being."

The brick should stay, unless something comes to light that shows Aaron Hernandez committed extraordinarily bad behavior while playing for UF.

So far, his shenanigans here seem to fall into "regrettable, but that stuff happens all the time here" category.

Loading…