<p>Florida football coach Jim McElwain speaks to media members during a press conference on March 10 in the Southeast End Zone meeting room at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.</p>

Florida football coach Jim McElwain speaks to media members during a press conference on March 10 in the Southeast End Zone meeting room at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

The Gators may be practicing inside sooner than originally expected.

When UF announced it was building an indoor practice facility for its football program back in January, the goal was to finish the project by early September.

But coach Jim McElwain revealed at Southeastern Conference Football Media Days that construction is ahead of schedule, and the school has applied for a permit to use the facility before the start of the season.

"They’re ahead of the construction date right now," he said.

"It sounds like we’ll at least be able to get permit to be able to go spend a couple hours in there as we go through two-a-days. So that’s something that’s really exciting, and it’s exciting for our guys."

If nothing else, the limited use of the building will provide a brief respite during the sweltering August practices.

But it could also prevent weather cancellations, allowing the team to continue practicing inside during afternoon thunderstorms.

The university estimates around 30 practices were affected by weather in 2014.

The Gators report to Fall camp on Aug. 5, with practice beginning on Aug. 6.

The season kicks off on Sept. 5 against New Mexico State at 7:30 p.m. on the SEC Network.