Florida stifled by Florida State in regular season finale

<p>UF quarterback Treon Harris drops back to pass during Florida's 27-2 loss to Florida State on Nov. 28, 2015, at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.</p>

UF quarterback Treon Harris drops back to pass during Florida's 27-2 loss to Florida State on Nov. 28, 2015, at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

For yet another week, the Gators’ offense struggled to support its defense.

This time, however, the defense couldn’t compensate.

On Saturday night, No. 12 Florida (10-2, 7-1 Southeastern Conference) fell 27-2 to No. 13 Florida State (10-2, 6-2 Atlantic Coast Conference), ending any hopes the Gators had at a spot in the College Football Playoff and placing even more doubt on their chances in next week’s SEC Conference Championship Game against No. 2 Alabama.

The Gators were woeful with possession of the ball, managing only 262 yards of total offense and failing to score on offense.

A fourth-quarter safety was all that kept UF from being shut out for the first time since 1988.

“Obviously that was disappointing,” coach Jim McElwain said. “They made some plays and we didn't. It's plain and simple. We had opportunities.”

Quarterback Treon Harris again was underwhelming.

While he avoided committing any turnovers for the first time since Oct. 17 against LSU, he failed to make any big plays and missed numerous opportunities to find wide open receivers downfield.

The sophomore finished the game completing half of his 38 passes for a meager 134 yards.

“He could've played better, but so could some other guys and so could some guys around him,” McElwain said of Harris. “He's our quarterback.”

However, the coach did acknowledge that there were players open for Harris to throw the ball to, but “we've got to deliver it.”

Running back Kelvin Taylor was the only piece of the offense that seemed able to move the ball on the Seminoles, notching a season-high 136 yards on 24 carries for his fourth 100-yard game in his last five contests.

“I was really proud of Kelvin,” tight end Jake McGee said. “I was really impressed, really all season, the way he’s fought and there haven’t been any big holes for him but he’s been running his tail off and really giving everything he has to this football team and this program.”

The defense was stifling, keeping the Gators in the game by holding the FSU offense to just 304 yards of total offense.

“Anywhere between the 20 and red zone,” Taylor said. “Just for us to go and punch it in there. We got to just to see what we could do better to fix those drives.”

But while Florida couldn’t turn its drives into points, the Florida State offense could.

The first half followed suit with how UF’s last three first halves at home have gone against FSU — no points.

After a scoreless first quarter, FSU kicker Roberto Aguayo hit a 45-yard field goal to open the second quarter, giving the Seminoles an early advantage they wouldn’t relinquish.

Florida State took the ball 74 yards on seven plays during their next drive, capping it off with a touchdown pass from quarterback Sean Maguire to tight end Jeremy Kerr on fourth and goal from the 1-yard line.

The reception was Kerr’s first of the season.

The Gators defense would maintain that score for the half, holding running back Dalvin Cook to just 25 yards on eight carries.

Aguayo drilled a 51-yard field goal to make it 13-0 FSU with 5:21 to go, and the Seminoles defense appeared poised to keep the Gators from scoring or getting back in the game at all.

But sack and fumble forced by defensive lineman CeCe Jefferson led to a Florida safety with just under nine minutes to play, giving the Gators some life.

But the offense couldn’t generate anything, and two Cook touchdowns in the waning minutes — he would finish with 183 yards and the two scores — put the game out of reach.

Now, the Gators are faced with somehow fixing a broken offense in time to compete with the Crimson Tide next week — a team that came into the weekend ranked third nationally in total defense.

“The key is we’ve gotta stay together as a team and a family and you know get a little bit better next week,” McElwain said. “We’re playing in this thing called the SEC Championship game in Atlanta that is an unbelievable event and it’s something our guys deserve. And I’m going to look forward and see what kind of energy they take onto the field next week.”

Follow Graham Hack on Twitter @Graham_Hack24