Alex McCalister plans to make the most of his 7-foot-2 wingspan.

"My long arm pass rush is my golden ticket," the redshirt sophomore said. "There’s not a lot of people that can stop that."

To do that, the defensive lineman out of Clemmons, N.C., has watched tape on a variety of players who have a similar technique.

J.J. Watt, the 2012 NFL Defensive Player of the Year who has 36.5 career sacks through his first three years of professional football.

Jadeveon Clowney, the No. 1 pick in the 2014 NFL Draft and a two-time first-team All-America and All-Southeastern Conference team selection.

Barkevious Mingo, who paced LSU with 12 quarterback hurries and tallied 8.5 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks in 2012 before becoming a first-round draft pick by the Cleveland Browns.

Now, McCalister and the rest of Florida’s defense is shifting its focus to Idaho and Saturday’s 2014 season debut.

"Getting into Idaho, getting into the first game you start seeing stuff starting to condense and slow down," McCalister said. "We’re starting to focus on schemes, what their people do, so it’s better just to focus on them not having to worry about not hitting (Jeff) Driskel every play."

In addition to McCalister, who coach Will Muschamp said has gained a lot of confidence heading into his third year at Florida, the rest of the defensive line is beginning to shape up.

With top players Dominique Easley and Damien Jacobs now in the NFL, redshirt senior Leon Orr, senior Darious Cumming and juniors Dante Fowler Jr. and Jon Bullard will provide leadership and experience for the group.

Last season, the quartet combined for 119 tackles (20.5 for loss), 8.5 sacks and 13 quarterback hurries.

"They’ve been in our program, they understand the expectation how we need to play on defense here," Muschamp said. "I feel good about us continuing to build that depth."

Redshirt sophomore Bryan Cox Jr., sophomore Joey Ivie and redshirt freshmen Jay-nard Bostwick and Caleb Brantley in addition to McCalister will receive playing time as well.

"We feel much better right now about being able to roll guys like we like to up front," defensive coordinator D.J. Durkin said. "We’re going to do that, and we feel good about the ability to do that because of how they’ve done through camp.

Muschamp also said true freshman Gerald Willis, the No. 6 defensive end recruit in the 2014 class according to Rivals.com and one of Florida’s five true freshmen along the defensive line, will see the field at some point this season.

"He’s going to play. How much, I don’t know right now," Muschamp said.

"Assignment wise he needs to be on top of things in what we’re trying to do and the communication of that."

Follow Jordan McPherson on Twitter @J_McPherson1126