Two-quarterback situation not limited just to Florida

Who starts at quarterback?

That’s been the No. 1 question not only in Gainesville but also in Auburn, Ala., where speculation has been rampant that freshman Kiehl Frazier could replace junior Barrett Trotter.

But unlike the way UF coach Will Muschamp has handled his dilemma, Auburn head man Gene Chizik put the issue to rest early on.

“Barrett is our quarterback today, and he is our quarterback on Saturday,” Chizik said.

Trotter has come under fire after he completed just 6 of 19 passes for 81 yards and an interception in Saturday’s 38-14 loss at Arkansas.

He misfired on six of his final seven throws and has increasingly split time with Frazier, who came to Auburn as the No. 5 quarterback in the country, according to Rivals.com.

Frazier took 28 snaps against the Razorbacks and was just 2 of 4 with a pair of interceptions. But he ran the ball effectively, carrying 13 times for 54 yards and a touchdown while adding another dimension to Auburn’s already potent running game.

“We don’t see it as a two-quarterback system, we see it as a changeup,” Chizik said.

“It’s really no more complicated than that.”

How much the Tigers use Frazier will be based on their matchup, Chizik said, putting the ball back in Muschamp’s court.

While Florida’s Jeff Driskel and Jacoby Brissett play a very similar style, Auburn’s two options are nearly polar opposites.

That poses a challenge for Muschamp and defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, who have to prepare game plans to combat two very distinct signal-callers.

Muschamp has one advantage: Auburn has already named its starter.

“That helps if the two quarterbacks are different,” Muschamp said. “When you’re talking about two totally different, talented guys as far as doing different things, then yes, that poses some problems.”

But Trotter starting doesn’t rule out the chance of Frazier playing significant time. Auburn’s offense is very good at changing gears and utilizing a number of unique formations, especially with Chizik and offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn at the helm.

The Tigers can play offense at various tempos and often like to apply pressure with their quick-hitting, no-huddle attack. To prepare, the Gators have scrimmaged their defense against a unit with two huddles, giving the offense the preparation advantage it needs to simulate Auburn’s speed.

“That was a really important part,” Quinn said.

“To understand, watch tape together and see how fast the action went and how fast you have to get back to the line of scrimmage.”

Contact Greg Luca at gluca@alligator.org.