Notebook: Floyd not eligible, hearing set for today

<p>Florida coach Will Muschamp would not comment on the status of Sharrif Floyd’s eligibility on Monday after the school announced before Saturday’s game that Floyd would not play.</p>

Florida coach Will Muschamp would not comment on the status of Sharrif Floyd’s eligibility on Monday after the school announced before Saturday’s game that Floyd would not play.

Two days after sophomore Sharrif Floyd was declared ineligible just prior to Florida’s season opener, the reasoning behind his status remains unclear.

Coach Will Muschamp declined further comment Monday, saying only, “He’s fine.”

The University Athletic Association released a statement saying Floyd will remain ineligible until he is cleared to play by the NCAA. The only clarification offered was to say that the issue “is not related to sports agents, University of Florida boosters or his recruitment to Florida.”

Ron Cohen, Floyd’s former coach at Philadelphia George Washington High, told the Palm Beach Post that Floyd is scheduled to have a hearing with the NCAA today.

Floyd played in all 13 games as a freshman and was projected to be a starter at defensive end. Senior William Green started in his place against FAU.

Injury update: Muschamp said he expects sophomore fullback Trey Burton and  redshirt senior wide receiver Deonte Thompson, both of whom left Saturday’s game with injuries, to be fine.

Burton sustained some bruising in the hip and rib area on his left side. He left in the first quarter but returned later in the game.

Thompson took a heavy hit to the back of the head after making a catch on a crossing pattern early in the fourth quarter, but Muschamp said the wideout did not suffer a concussion on the helmet-to-helmet blow.

Muschamp added that junior wide receiver Omarius Hines, who missed Saturday’s game with a hamstring injury, is expected to be back this week against Alabama-Birmingham.

Also absent against FAU were junior cornerback Jeremy Brown (knee) and sophomore wide receiver Robert Clark (hamstring), who Muschamp listed as “probable-to-questionable” for next week.

Driskel’s playing time: Muschamp restated on Monday the desire to give freshman quarterback Jeff Driskel meaningful snaps, adding that he will do so again against UAB if the opportunity presents itself.

Driskel entered for three plays against FAU with 6:04 remaining in the second quarter, then again with 8:01 left in the fourth.

He completed 4 of 6 passes for 42 yards and an interception, while also running twice for 8 yards.

Weekly awards: Redshirt senior defensive tackle Jaye Howard was named the Southeastern Conference’s Co-Defensive Lineman of the Week following his four-tackle, one-sack performance against Florida Atlantic.

Howard also recorded 1.5 tackles for loss.

Muschamp singled out  running backs Chris Rainey and Jeff Demps as the team’s offensive players of the week.

Muschamp also cited sixth-year senior and Notre Dame transfer Dan Wenger as the team’s best lineman, while left tackle Xavier Nixon was mentioned as the player who gave the most effort.

On defense, Muschamp gave sophomore linebacker Jelani Jenkins his “Hard Hat Award,” mentioning a powerful hit Jenkins made while breaking up an FAU pass attempt midway through the third quarter.

Contact Greg Luca at gluca@alligator.org.