<p>Skyler Mornhinweg (8) hands the ball off to Matt Jones (24) as Will Grier (7) and Treon Harris (3) look on during Florida's open practice on Aug. 8, 2014 at Donald R. Dizney Stadium. Head coach Jim McElwain revealed Wednesday that Mornhinweg would be transferring from Florida.</p>

Skyler Mornhinweg (8) hands the ball off to Matt Jones (24) as Will Grier (7) and Treon Harris (3) look on during Florida's open practice on Aug. 8, 2014 at Donald R. Dizney Stadium. Head coach Jim McElwain revealed Wednesday that Mornhinweg would be transferring from Florida.

Just over a month removed from the conclusion of Spring practice, Florida head coach Jim McElwain spoke to the media by teleconference on Wednesday morning.

Following reports that former Notre Dame quarterback Everett Golson had visited the university on Tuesday, McElwain was asked about the prospect of UF adding transfer players to the roster.

"There’s going to be an opportunity for some guys to come in and obviously get some playing time," McElwain said.

"We’re thin in some areas, and that’s pretty obvious. That was the hand we were dealt, and I look forward to trying to piece that thing together.

"There will probably be a lot of new names on the roster moving forward. These guys all came here to win a championship and that’s what we’re looking to do."

McElwain revealed that redshirt junior quarterback Skyler Mornhinweg has decided to transfer from UF and will continue his playing career at Columbia University in the fall.

Florida is now left with just two scholarship quarterbacks on the roster – redshirt freshman Will Grier and sophomore Treon Harris – competing for the starting role.

The Gators did not add any quarterback recruits on scholarship in the Class of 2015 and have yet to land a commitment for the position in the Class of 2016.

Follow Graham Hall on Twitter @Graham311