Youth along offensive line will prove critical to UF’s success

<p>UF offensive lineman Fred Johnson (74) screams in excitement as he runs out of the tunnel prior to Florida's 14-9 win against Kentucky on Sept. 19, 2015, at Commonwealth Stadium in Lexington, Kentucky.</p>

UF offensive lineman Fred Johnson (74) screams in excitement as he runs out of the tunnel prior to Florida's 14-9 win against Kentucky on Sept. 19, 2015, at Commonwealth Stadium in Lexington, Kentucky.

At 6-foot-6 with piercing green eyes, Fred Johnson is a man who walks into a room and demands attention.

But as a recruit, he lived in the shadow of future teammate Martez Ivey.

Johnson, a three-star offensive tackle from West Palm Beach, was rated No. 140 at his position by the 247Sports Composite. Meanwhile, Ivey was ranked No. 1.

As far as immediate contributions, Johnson was an afterthought. Even he knew it.

“My experience level in high school was little to none,” Johnson said. “When I came to college I was more scared of, ‘Am I ready for this, am I not?’”

But as early as last season’s Fall camp, Johnson started to build confidence and surprise coaches. That confidence translated into being the main backup for starting right tackle Mason Halter in 2015. It also led to a pair of starts.

And this season, with two years of football experience, Johnson is set to anchor the right side of Florida’s offensive line. But he’s not the only young player who will start up front.

Ivey, who’s moved inside, and fellow sophomore Tyler Jordan will hold down UF’s guard spots.

Both of them also started at times last season, playing on one of the worst offensive lines in the country. The Gators allowed more sacks (45) than any other FBS team.

This season, for Florida to have success, they all know that needs to change. And that change starts with them.

“Tyler Jordan and Martez and Fred,” said David Sharpe, UF’s starting left tackle. “You know, we’re kinda lighting a fire under them, and they know it’s a big year.”

The remaining pieces aside from the three sophomores are Sharpe and center Cameron Dillard. Redshirt junior Antonio Riles was also set to be a major cog before suffering a season-ending knee injury early in Fall camp.

That leaves lofty expectations on the shoulders of the underclassmen. Their defensive counterparts are doing their best to prepare them, especially redshirt senior defensive lineman Bryan Cox Jr., who takes pride in pushing Johnson’s limits during practice.

“He’s a very strong competitor,” Johnson said of Cox. “I’m glad that he’s here so I can get better in my technique and hone my skills against him.”

Working against veterans like Cox is just one way to ensure the offensive line doesn’t see a repeat of last year’s performance. Another is improved communication.

“It’s getting stronger and stronger,” Ivey said, adding that the group is almost at a point where they are able to communicate without talking to each other at all.

“It’s gotten to that point almost,” he said.

The improved communication comes with familiarity — something the group lacked as freshmen.

And just as their lack of familiarity is no longer an excuse for poor performance, neither are their ages.

“They’re all stepping up, you know, doing their jobs and just being the players they’re looked to be,” Sharpe said. “I feel like they’re all taking bigger steps.”

Contact Ethan Bauer at ebauer@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @ebaueri