Notebook: Finley transferring from Florida, Muschamp wants one quarterback to emerge

<p>Backup linebacker Dee Finley will transfer from Florida, the school announced in a release Wednesday. Finley came to Gainesville as a four-star prospect out of Auburn, Ala., but he played sparingly in two-plus seasons.</p>

Backup linebacker Dee Finley will transfer from Florida, the school announced in a release Wednesday. Finley came to Gainesville as a four-star prospect out of Auburn, Ala., but he played sparingly in two-plus seasons.

Linebacker Dee Finley has decided to transfer from Florida, the team announced in a statement Wednesday.

Finley, a sophomore from Auburn (Ala.) High, was suspended for one game after he was charged Sept. 12 for driving with a suspended license and resisting arrest. He saw limited action in Florida’s other five games, recording four tackles.

“Although I’ve enjoyed my time here at Florida, I think it’s best for me to move on and get a fresh start somewhere else,” Finley said in the statement.

Coach Will Muschamp said Wednesday that he and Finley “talked the other night” about the linebacker transferring, but Muschamp did not elaborate on why Finley wanted to leave. Defensive coordinator Dan Quinn said he did not know why Finley was transferring.

“I wish him the best,” Quinn said.

Rated a four-star safety by Rivals.com, Finley signed with Florida in 2008, but he arrived a semester late after failing to qualify academically. Once on the field, his Gators career was unremarkable, registering 12 tackles in 19 games.

Finley missed the final seven games last season after fracturing his collarbone.

He will continue to take classes at Florida until the end of the semester, according to the release.  

Powell underperforming: Quinn said he has been disappointed in Buck linebacker Ronald Powell’s performance this season. The sophomore was expected to be a leader, but he has only 14 tackles in six games.

Powell had one tackle against LSU, though he sat out the second half because of an injury.

“For us, at that position, we would certainly want the production to be higher,” Quinn said.

Powell needs to get a better jump off the ball when rushing the passer, Quinn said. He has two sacks and three quarterback hits this year.

Quinn said Powell also needs to play the run better.  When teams run to Powell’s side, he has not been able to contain the edge.

According to Quinn, Powell will still start against No. 24 Auburn on Saturday.

Looking for a QB leader: Muschamp did not name a starting quarterback Wednesday morning, though he wants Jacoby Brissett or Jeff Driskel to establish himself as the starter going forward.

“I’d love for one of them to really step up and play really well and go from there,” Muschamp said. “But, again, we will manage that as we roll through this season, and I couldn’t think of anybody’s better hands to be in than (those of offensive coordinator) Charlie Weis.”

This is the second straight week Florida has been undecided about its starting quarterback midway through the week. Muschamp said after Saturday’s loss that he chose Brissett on Wednesday night.

Contact Tyler Jett at tjett@alligator.org.