<p>Max Garcia blocks UGA linebacker Amarlo Herrera during Florida's 38-20 win against Georgia on Nov. 1</p>

Max Garcia blocks UGA linebacker Amarlo Herrera during Florida's 38-20 win against Georgia on Nov. 1

Eight months ago, Max Garcia did not look ready to be Florida’s starting center.

During the Gators’ first open Spring practice on March 19, Garcia struggled snapping the ball.

Some were high. Some were low. Few, if any, were right on the money.

“I knew I was a good player,” Garcia said Monday. “But I just didn't know how I would play at center.”

But after eight games starting at the middle of the line acting as the anchor of Florida’s offensive line this season, there is no question about Garcia’s capability to play center.

In fact, coach Will Muschamp thinks the redshirt senior is playing the position as well as anyone else in the country.

“He makes all the calls for us up front,” Muschamp said, “and is a very calming part of what we're trying to to do.”

Garcia, who considers himself “the quarterback of the offensive line,” helped the Gators record 429 yards of total offense against Vanderbilt one week after putting up 445 against Georgia.

Garcia credited offensive line coach Mike Summers for helping with the transition.

“He's helped me out a lot and just being patient with me starting out in the spring and just developing me at that position,” Garcia said. “He's just really helping me out.”

For Garcia, versatility is key to being a successful offensive lineman.

And that was the case for Florida during Saturday’s win against Vanderbilt, when Florida saw three offensive lineman get injured during the game and miss playing time.

At one point, the Gators had both of their starting tackles — D.J. Humphries and Chaz Green — playing guard.

"Versatility is one of those things, you know, that a lot of people in the NFL look for just because they only travel seven linemen. That's pretty much the same scenario,” he said. “We're going to have to be versatile just with the injuries that we're having.”

Harris honored by SEC: Treon Harris was named the Southeastern Conference Co-Freshman of the Week on Monday.

In his second career start, Harris completed 61.9 percent of his passes for a career-high 215 yards while also gaining 49 rushing yards and two touchdowns on the ground as Florida defeated Vanderbilt 34-10 in Nashville, Tennessee.

"He played extremely well, managed our offense extremely well, continues to improve and get better and better every single day," Muschamp said.

Orr situation the same: Muschamp was quick to provide an update Monday on Leon Orr’s situation with the team.

“Nothing’s changed,” the fourth-year head coach said.

Orr left Nashville, Tennessee, on a bus prior to Saturday’s game against Vanderbilt after he “expressed displeasure” with not being in the starting lineup.

Injury update: Safety Keanu Neal (ankle) is doubtful for Saturday’s matchup against South Carolina, Muschamp said Monday.

The sophomore suffered the injury in the first quarter of Florida’s 38-20 win against Georgia on Nov. 1 and sat out against Vanderbilt on Saturday.

Neal has a team-best three interceptions on the season in addition to a fumble recovery for a touchdown, 34 tackles and three pass breakups.

Offensive lineman Trenton Brown (bone bruise) is unlikely to play, Muschamp said. Tyler Moore (ankle) and Chaz Green (knee) are likely to play as is wide receiver Ahmad Fulwood (turf toe).

Another noon game: Kickoff for Florida’s final home game of the 2014 season against Eastern Kentucky on Nov. 22 is set for noon. It will be televised on the SEC Network.

Follow Jordan McPherson on Twitter @J_McPherson1126