UF coaches McElwain, Rumph bringing out Brantley’s best

<p>Freshman defensive lineman Caleb Brantley recovers a fumble during Florida's 65-0 victory against Eastern Michigan on Saturday at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.</p>

Freshman defensive lineman Caleb Brantley recovers a fumble during Florida's 65-0 victory against Eastern Michigan on Saturday at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

There haven’t been many players making more noise for the Gators in Fall camp than Caleb Brantley.

The redshirt sophomore defensive tackle has garnered a lot of praise from teammates and the coaching staff for how much he’s improved his game.  

Last year, Brantley showcased flashes of his ability in the 12 games he played as he ended up totaling 21 tackles — four of them for a loss — and forcing two fumbles while recovering one.

To take the next step in his game, however, Brantley had to renew his focus and not pay attention to the chatter off the football field.

“This year, I cut out all the other distractions and stopped being immature,” Brantley said on Tuesday. “Just knowing that I had to step up and the team needed me.”

Following his redshirt freshman season, where he had decent success, the defensive lineman was searching for something or someone to help motivate him so he could reach his potential.

And that answer came when head coach Jim McElwain hired Chris Rumph from Texas on Feb. 6.  

After Florida’s Spring practice on March 27, Rumph said Brantley wasn’t playing up to his potential and he was relying too much on his athletic ability.

“He’s so result-oriented, that’s all he sees,” Rumph said. “When I tell him, ‘Hey look at your footwork here. Look where your eyes and your hands were on that particular play.’ He blocks that out. …So trying to get him to buy into it, which he is, he’s trying, all those guys are trying to do that, but him in particular because he’s so talented.”

Rumph’s words quickly resonated with the Crescent City native. The words made Brantley evaluate how he was doing things on the field and it had a positive effect on him.

He used the message as fuel to keep improving.

“I mean, obviously I didn’t like it. But coach Rumph did his job. He motivated me,” Brantley said. “He brought out something in me I didn’t think I had in me. It’s just the work that I put in the Summer, he sat me down and just told me what I needed to do to make my dream happen.”

Part of the equation was Brantley’s ability to trust Rumph — a crucial element that was lacking with former defensive line coach Brad Lawing.

There were times where Brantley had problems with the direction Lawing tried to take with him. But that isn't the case with Rumph, who’s slowly worked with him and taken a more patient approach with the defensive lineman.

“Coaching was definitely a problem for me. Like last year, me and Lawing obviously didn’t get along and it was just a hassle,” Brantley said. “I didn’t want to go to practice every day because I didn’t want to deal with the kind of coaching I was getting.

“And Rumph, he’s more patient with me. Coach Rumph just reminded me how good I could be if I just pushed myself.”  

Now more focused than ever before, and with the guidance that he’s been seeking heading into this year, Brantley has a chance to make a name for himself once the season begins on Sept. 5 against New Mexico State.  

“I’m giving 100 percent every rep. Every rep you go, it’s a game situation,” Brantley said. “You’ve got to push yourself, and if you push yourself in practice, it’ll have you ready. Now it feels like re-creation in me.”

Follow Luis Torres on Twitter @LFTorresIII