<p>UF wide receiver Brandon Powell runs a route during practice on Aug. 31, 2015, at the Sanders Practice Field.</p>

UF wide receiver Brandon Powell runs a route during practice on Aug. 31, 2015, at the Sanders Practice Field.

A new season is underway, and that means another opportunity for players to make their mark. Here are five UF players who have the potential to have a breakout season.

Jake McGee, TE

After his first season at UF ended before it could really begin in 2014, McGee is back with a sixth-year of eligibility and an opportunity to give Florida a viable pass-catching option.

At 6-foot-6 and 249 pounds, the Virginia transfer has the size to help block defensive linemen and fight against linebackers for passes in the middle of the field.

He hasn’t caught a pass in almost two years now.

But come Saturday, McGee’s ready to prove he still has what it takes.

Brandon Powell, WR/RB

Powell failed to make an impact as a freshman.

The 5-foot-9 speedster tallied just 31 touches and 217 yards as a running back in his inaugural season with the Gators.

But the Deerfield Beach native has impressed coach Jim McElwain over the last six months.

He is listed as the starting slot receiver for Saturday’s season opener against New Mexico State and has taken first-team reps during most of training camp.

With his speed and crisp route-running, Powell can help breathe life into a stagnant wide receiver corps.

Alex Anzalone, LB

After two lackluster years to start his UF career, Anzalone handled the majority of first-team reps at middle linebacker during Spring and Fall camp while senior Antonio Morrison recovered from a knee injury he suffered in the first half of UF’s Birmingham Bowl win on Jan. 3.

While Morrison is back and projects to start at middle linebacker, Anzalone will still have his chance to shine.

"To be honest, Alex Anzalone is the quarterback of the defense now," Morrison said. "He’s really taken that role over. I echo his calls."

Johnny Townsend, P

Special teams needs some love, too.

While Townsend hasn’t seen action since his freshman year, he has shown potential during his limited time on the field.

In six games as a freshman, Townsend averaged 42 yards per punt, pinned six inside the 20-yard line and booted a 61-yard kick in his first career game.

In April’s Orange & Blue Spring game, the Orlando native rattled off six punts — four of which landed inside the 20-yard line — and averaged 43.5 yards per punt.

McElwain praised Townsend’s work throughout preseason camp, and if he keeps pace with what he has done over the past six months, he’ll have the potential for a strong year.

Taven Bryan, DL

Bryan took a redshirt his first year on campus to learn the playbook and bulk up.

And while he probably won’t start this season, the "Wyoming Wild Man" will be a force in Florida’s defensive line rotation this season.

Players and coaches have praised Bryan’s high football IQ and he has the size and agility to be a force against offensive linemen.

Bryan is still raw and has some room to grow, but he’ll have opportunities this season. 

Follow Jordan McPherson on Twitter @J_McPherson1126