Police: Florida kicker Eddy Pineiro could face misdemeanor charges after causing $800 worth of damages

<p>Eddy Pineiro (15) smiles as he walks off the field after making a field goal during the Orange &amp; Blue Debut on April 8, 2016, at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.</p>

Eddy Pineiro (15) smiles as he walks off the field after making a field goal during the Orange & Blue Debut on April 8, 2016, at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

Florida kicker Eddy Pineiro could face two misdemeanor charges after police said he caused roughly $800 worth of damages to two scooters, according to a sworn complaint filed Nov. 7.

At about 2 p.m. on Nov. 7, witnesses told police they saw Pineiro push over two scooters parked next to his scooter at the East-West scooter parking lot near Murphree Area. He then kicked them and ripped off the side mirrors, according to a police report.

Pineiro then got on his scooter and drove away, according to the report, and University Police later contacted him, though it’s not clear when. Pineiro later told police that he pushed over the two scooters.

UPD Sgt. Jeff Lamb said information about the incident has been sent to the state attorney’s office. No arrest has been made, but Pineiro could face a misdemeanor charge for each damaged scooter.

Briana Hazel, a 19-year-old UF marine science sophomore, saw a male student with short brown hair on her way to get her scooter, which was parked in the same lot. She said after noticing a broken mirror on his own scooter, he became angry and pushed the two nearby scooters.

“I didn’t want to intervene in the middle of his anger outburst, because I don’t know this person,” Hazel said. She didn’t recognize the student, she said, but wrote down the license plate numbers for his scooter and the two damaged scooters before returning home and calling police.

Pineiro is charged with a first degree misdemeanor of criminal mischief for property damage between $200 and $1,000 and a second degree misdemeanor of criminal mischief for property damage less than $200.

UAA spokesman Steve McClain said there has been no change in Pineiro's game status for Saturday's matchup with Louisiana State University.

"We have been aware and it has been handled," McClain said.

In his first year at Florida, Pineiro, a redshirt sophomore, has made 13 of his 17 field-goal attempts and ranks seventh in the Southeastern Conference in field-goal percentage at 76.5.

Pineiro has started every game this season.

Contact Patrick Pinak at ppinak@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @pinakk12