No. 1 Florida was just a few yards away from returning to its dominant offensive form Saturday.

That's about how far off the field Percy Harvin and Louis Murphy were standing during the Gators' 27-3 win against Vanderbilt. The two used their NFL bye weeks to return to Gainesville, and their presence helped highlight what has been missing from UF's offense.

"We just didn't have the big-play production," coach Urban Meyer said. "We had four sacks, and we didn't have any home-run shots. You're concerned with something every game you play. Last year, it was kickoff cover, and we got that squared away. Now we have to get a little more production out of the offense."

Long-yardage plays have been in short supply since the talented pair of receivers left for the NFL, and Harvin's absence has been the most noticeable.

Harvin always drew the attention of opposing defenses, leaving things more open for players like running back Jeff Demps, who hasn't ripped off the same long runs that established him as a starter last season.

Demps was the bright spot of an otherwise-dim first half, as he broke a 25-yard touchdown run on 4th down to make the score 10-0.

It was the kind of run fans have come to expect from Demps. He sprinted down the right sideline, and although several defenders appeared to have good angles on him, he breezed right past.

But those plays haven't been plentiful during meaningful games this season.

In 2008, Demps had five carries of 36 yards or longer in SEC play. He hasn't provided the same threat this season, as his touchdown dash equaled his longest run against conference opponents.

Demps finished with 57 yards on seven carries, doing his part among the Gators' weak showing in the running game.

Florida managed just 148 yards on the ground, well shy of the 252 per game that have made them the nation's No. 6 ground attack.

That output is especially disappointing considering the fact that the Commodores came in with the SEC's No. 11 rush defense, and Florida's total was actually an improvement compared to their average of 190 allowed.