<p class="p1">Running back Kelvin Taylor (21) rushes for a touchdown during Florida’s 19-14 loss to South Carolina on Nov. 16 at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, S.C.</p>

Running back Kelvin Taylor (21) rushes for a touchdown during Florida’s 19-14 loss to South Carolina on Nov. 16 at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, S.C.

The Gators football team has made it through the dog days of summer and the grind of fall camp, and game week is finally here. Florida will face Idaho on Saturday to open its 2014 season.

Offensive Personnel Progressing: Florida’s new up-tempo, spread offense under offensive coordinator Kurt Roper is taking shape. The running back corps with Mack Brown, Kelvin Taylor and Matt Jones returning makes the position the deepest it’s been since Muschamp has been in Gainesville.  He added that he is pleased with the development of the receiving corps.

“I feel very good about the running back position. I think we have a lot of good depth,” Muschamp said. “I feel very good about the receiver position, a lot of good depth. I think Clay Burton and Jake McGee have both distanced themselves at tight end a little bit and Jeff Driskel at quarterback.”

Driskel has improved significantly within the new system. Being in the shotgun as opposed to under center has made him more efficient, especially running the football.

He’s been very good with the ball. I don’t think any team periods, we’ve had a turnover with Jeff,” Muschamp said. “I think there may have been one in a 1-on-1 on a deflected pass, so he’s been very good with the ball and making good decisions.”

Secondary starters still undetermined: The only two set positions in Florida’s secondary are Vernon Hargreaves III at cornerback and sophomore Keanu Neal at safety. There are a number of different guys that can rotate between nickel and corner, as well as nickel and safety.

“Jabari Gorman he can play nickel, he can play safety. Marcus (Maye) can play nickel can play safety. Brian Poole can play corner he can play nickel,” Muschamp said. “So those guys will all cross train throughout the year.”

True freshmen Jalen Tabor,  J.C. Jackson and Quincy Wilson have been repping at cornerback too.

But regardless of who starts the game, Muschamp said players will still get the reps they earned.

“I think settle is going to be the first series and after that we’re going to be rolling in there because all of those guys have earned the right to have the opportunity to step on the field and play,” Muschamp said.”I have confidence in all of them and I think that as we move closer to game week a lot of times in my experience that’s where you create a little more separation the anxiety of game day and how those guys handle the situation.”

Injury Update: After an injury-plagued season a year ago, the Gators have remained healthy for the most part throughout fall camp. Offensive lineman David Sharpe will return to practice today, and Maye will be back Tuesday or Wednesday.

“We only had two soft-tissue issues in all of camp. That’s outstanding,” Muschamp said. "That’s the best I’ve been around, as opposed to last year, I think we only had three as far as hamstrings, groins, those sort of things and hernias. That tells you we’re training the right way.”

Linebacker Matt Rolin, who underwent his second ACL tear just a year ago, continues to progress.

Follow Morgan Moriarty on Twitter @morgan_moriarty