<p>UF defensive back Quincy Wilson (6) celebrates after catching an interception in the waning seconds of Florida's 24-14 win against South Carolina on Nov. 14, 2015, at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, South Carolina.</p>

UF defensive back Quincy Wilson (6) celebrates after catching an interception in the waning seconds of Florida's 24-14 win against South Carolina on Nov. 14, 2015, at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, South Carolina.

Last season, Jalen Tabor cast shadows over opposing wide receivers.

He blanketed them from their quarterbacks, making them invisible in the passing game.

He deceived quarterbacks with his coverage skills and budded into a top cornerback as he faced stiff competition in the Southeastern Conference on a week-to-week basis.

But like those receivers he faced, Tabor too had a shadow cast upon him last year by teammate and All-American Vernon Hargreaves III.

Even though Tabor had the statistically better season -- 18 defended passes and two pick-sixes compared to Hargreaves’ respective eight and zero -- his mentor took in the limelight en route to unanimous All-America honors before darting to the NFL.

Now that Tabor is poised to take on Hargreaves’ position as the Gators’ lead cornerback and anchor a secondary that last season finished 13th nationally in average passing yards allowed (182.1), let’s not forget about — or underestimate — the man who will be playing alongside him in Quincy Wilson and the man who will likely have a shadow cast on him this season.

A junior who has made his share of plays over his first two seasons while rotating at the outside corner positions, Wilson has the potential to play at the same level -- if not better -- than Tabor this season.

“I think at times Quincy did get overlooked,” defensive coordinator Geoff Collins said, “but he's such a competitive kid. He's a good kid. He every day works on his craft and wants to make a name for himself.”

In 26 career games (11 starts) with the Gators, Wilson has proved himself on multiple occasions.

He has 51 career tackles and 11 defended passes.

Wilson played a major role in limiting Rebels receiver Laquon Treadwell to just five catches and 42 receiving yards during Florida’s 38-10 upset over then-No. 3 Ole Miss last season — a game remembered more for UF’s offensive outbursts than defensive dominance.

He had the game-sealing interception against South Carolina, picking off Perry Orth with 1:20 to play.

And with his length and athletic range, he should fit just right in new defensive backs coach Torrian Gray’s scheme.

“Quincy is going to be an integral part,” Gray said in the spring. “... Just seeing his upside when he is full speed, he is healthy and confident, I am really excited to see when he knows he is going to be the guy this year.”

With Tabor suspended for the season opener following a violation of team rules during a practice, Wilson has a golden opportunity to show that he can be the top corner, that his success strings from his skills, not the fact that his teammate is covering the opponent’s top playmaker.

“We are expecting big things from him,” Collins said. “Just do what he does.”

If he does that, he might not be the Florida corner living in the shadows this season.

Jordan McPherson is a sports writer. You can contact him at jmcpherson@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @jmcpherson_1126.