UF achieves highest ranking in AP Poll since 2012 season

The Florida football team has reached a height the program hasn’t seen in more than two seasons: A top-10 ranking in the AP Poll.

The Gators (6-0, 4-0 Southeastern Conference) check in at No. 8 in the newest AP Poll, which was released on Sunday afternoon.

It's the highest ranking for the program since it was No. 3 heading into the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 2, 2013.

The Gators would lose to No. 22 Louisville 33-22 as they finished 11-2 on the season.

Florida moved up three spots in the poll after defeating Missouri 21-3 on Saturday night in Columbia. UF moved ahead of then-No. 10 Oklahoma, which was upset by unranked Texas, and leapfroged No. 9 Texas A&M, which was on a bye week.

Florida will now turn its attention to No. 6 LSU (5-0, 3-0 SEC), who is fresh off a 45-24 win over South Carolina. UF will head to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, for its second consecutive road game.

The game will be the Gators’ first top-10 matchup since Nov. 24, 2012 when No. 6 Florida beat No. 10 Florida State 37-26 in Tallahassee.

Follow Luis Torres on Twitter @LFTorresIII