<p>Alabama wide receiver Amari Cooper catches the ball during the Crimson Tide's 42-21 win against the Gators on Sept. 20 at Bryant-Denny Stadium.</p>

Alabama wide receiver Amari Cooper catches the ball during the Crimson Tide's 42-21 win against the Gators on Sept. 20 at Bryant-Denny Stadium.

A bye week could not have come at a better time for the Gators.

Coming off a 42-21 loss to No. 3 Alabama that saw Florida give up the most yards in program history, improvements need to be made.

"Extremely disappointed two games in a row of giving up the big plays we’ve given up defensively," Muschamp said. "We’ve got to get some things tied together better on the back end. That’s the bottom line."

Between missing more than 20 tackles against Alabama, allowing the Crimson Tide to convert 75 percent of its third-down attempts and surrendering 21 plays of at least 15 yards since Southeastern Conference play began, coach Will Muschamp said Wednesday that changes are coming.

For Muschamp consistency is key, and the defense has been anything but consistent.

The secondary has been torched to the tune of 409 yards per game in SEC action, with five of the eight touchdown passes it has given up being at least 25 yards.

"We’re looking at a lot of different guys in different spots," Muschamp said about his defensive backs."Can’t continue to do the same things. … The mistakes we’ve made in some situations back there are inexcusable. It’s on me. We’ll get it fixed. We’re going to work through it.Haven’t been through this before very often, I can tell you that. But extremely frustrating."

With starting spots open in the secondary, Muschamp said players are beginning to feel a sense of urgency.

"It’s the human condition of understanding ‘I’ve got to go out there and play well,’ as well as other guys thinking that they’ve just got the job," Muschamp said."You’re always trying to heighten that. Now some guys are self-starters, so it doesn’t matter. They’re going to go out and work hard every single day, but in most situations, not all, guys need somebody to be pushing them more."

But with the youth that surrounds the secondary — highlighted by true freshmen Duke Dawson, Jalen Tabor and Quincy Wilson — consistency leading up to the game is vital when it’s time for them to step up in a game-time situation.

"The issue with young players and — been doing this a long time — is in order to gain confidence they gotta practice well," Muschamp said.

"They gotta practice well on Monday but then they practice again well on Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday. And what happens to you as a coach is a guy that’s never been out in front of 90,000 people, he goes out and has five busted assignments in critical situations in a Tuesday practice, what’s he gonna do in front of 90,000 people?"

The defensive line has failed to generate an even pass rush.

Outside of Buck linebacker Dante Fowler Jr. and defensive lineman Jon Bullard, no UF player has more than two quarterback hurries.

Against Alabama on Saturday, Florida was held to one quarterback hurry.

Muschamp wants to see improvements from everyone in his front seven, but he specifically mentioned Alex McCalister on Monday.

McCalister, who stands at 6-foot-6 and has a 7-foot wingspan, is tied with Neiron Ball for the team lead in sacks with two while working into the defensive line rotation.

"Most of the pressure we’ve been able to generate is with five guys rushing," Muschamp said. "So our four-man pass rush needs to improve."

Follow Jordan McPherson on Twitter @J_McPherson1126