<p>UF quarterback Feleipe Franks looks to pass the ball during Florida's 26-20 win against Tennessee on Saturday at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.</p>

UF quarterback Feleipe Franks looks to pass the ball during Florida's 26-20 win against Tennessee on Saturday at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

Feleipe Franks wasn’t shaken.

Just minutes after his interception threatened to sink Florida on its first Saturday in The Swamp, the Gators’ redshirt freshman quarterback was back on the field to manufacture a miracle.

Then came the catch. Franks’ game-winning 63-yard pass to receiver Tyrie Cleveland sent a shock wave through the stadium as Florida fans were reminded why they watch football in the first place.

It was more than a touchdown and more than a win — it was a message that the Gators can respond. Respond to a season-opening loss. Respond to missing nine players with suspensions. Respond to an opponent that wants to keep them quiet.

The No. 20 Gators proved that point in a 26-20 win Saturday against Tennessee (2-1, 0-1 SEC) in a game that introduced fans to what this Florida team can do.

“It obviously was not pretty,” Gators coach Jim McElwain said. “But sometimes as you go through this business, it’s about figuring out a way to win.”

After looking lost against Michigan in Week 1, the Gators (1-1, 1-0 SEC) hit the reset button this weekend when they taught themselves how to win.

As the Volunteers tied the game at 20-20 with just 50 seconds left in the fourth quarter, it would’ve been easy for Franks, a redshirt freshman in his first home game, to get hung up on the interception that cost Florida its last-minute lead.

But faced with pressure, Franks showed why his coaches and teammates never hesitate to praise his steady demeanor.

“You want to play quarterback in the SEC, (interceptions are) going to happen,” Franks said. “It just happens in the game, just kind of shrug it off.”

Franks followed his biggest error by finding Cleveland streaking past defenders and launching his second touchdown pass of the day, one that traveled 65 yards before it hit Cleveland’s chest.

“I think everybody found out that Feleipe can throw the ball a long ways in the air,” McElwain said.

Florida’s third-year head coach knew Franks wasn’t perfect, but couldn’t deny that Saturday would likely be a confidence-booster.

“I mean, (Franks) had some plays that he’d like to have back,” McElwain said. “But you know what? Getting a win under your belt playing an SEC opponent, you know, I think he’ll just continue to get a little better.”

Franks and Florida’s offense will need that swagger next week when they hit the road again to face Kentucky in Lexington. The Wildcats (3-0, 1-0 SEC) are coming off a conference win of their own, 23-13, against South Carolina.

While Cleveland said he’s dreamed about making a catch like the one the Gators marched off the field to, he and his teammates can’t afford to sleep on the Wildcats.

“I think we got a lot of confidence coming off of this win,” Cleveland said.

“I feel like we’re going to come out against Kentucky next week and just leave it all on the field, play hard, play fast and just give it our all.”

You can follow Matt Brannon on Twitter @MattB_727, and contact him at mbrannon@alligator.org.